Wisconsin county halts frack sand mining on health concerns

A western Wisconsin county that has issued more frack sand mining permits than any other county in the state and in neighboring Minnesota decides to impose a moratorium of up to a year on new projects while it addresses health and environmental concerns.

While several counties and communities on both sides of the Mississippi River have imposed moratoriums on frack sand mining, few communities have embraced the mining with the pro-business fervor seen in Trempealeau county.

Among companies involved in frack sand mining in the area: EOG, SLCA, HCLP, EMES.

From other sites
Comments (11)
  • YONSU
    , contributor
    Comments (230) | Send Message

EOG has no exploration in this county according to their website map, Williston basin in N Dakota is the closest one. Bad addition to this current news report
    21 Aug 2013, 12:04 PM Reply Like
  • User 8551931
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

You may have misunderstood. They are not drilling for oil and gas in Wisconsin, but it is a source for their frac sand. Wisconsin, for the most part, does not produce oil and gas, a result of unfavorable geologic factors, (There are a couple of Trenton oil wells in Door County. They are actually on the western flank of the Michigan Basin.)
    21 Aug 2013, 12:28 PM Reply Like
  • YONSU
    , contributor
    Comments (230) | Send Message

Yes I think I did, but what health and environmental concerns could the county have mining sand. My understanding is EOG has its own sand mine, therefore should not be affected at all unless they persue new permits in this county, is that correct?
    21 Aug 2013, 01:04 PM Reply Like
  • Clayton Rulli
    , contributor
    Comments (3238) | Send Message

I think it's hilarious they freeze mining for sand, but not drilling for oil gas? Seems like the later is more hazardous to the environment
    21 Aug 2013, 02:48 PM Reply Like
  • User 74497
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Eagle Materials (EXP) has no frac sand assets in Wisconsin.
    21 Aug 2013, 01:49 PM Reply Like
  • User 8551931
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

I worked at EOG in Ft. Worth as their exploration manager of the oil play portion of the Barnett. They did establish a sand mine in north Texas for the Barnett. I don't know if they have one for the Bakken. If not, there is a good possibility that they are getting their sand from Wisconsin. I have an idea for sand deposits in South Dakota, but I haven't completed my prospecting there yet.
    21 Aug 2013, 04:42 PM Reply Like
  • toomuchgas
    , contributor
    Comments (958) | Send Message

I'm guessing that there are plenty of places that would be glad to sell sand to the oil companies. Is there a special kind of sand that is needed for fracking?
    21 Aug 2013, 05:34 PM Reply Like
  • User 8551931
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

Yes, there are certain specifications for sand that is used for fracing. Search "frac sand specifications" on the web.
    22 Aug 2013, 12:54 PM Reply Like
  • Rockefeller2012
    , contributor
    Comments (126) | Send Message

This is a big boost for operators with mines already up and running. Essentially closes off any new competition in this county. I wouldn't be surprised if other counties following suit who haven't already.

Long on HCLP.
    23 Aug 2013, 01:27 PM Reply Like
  • Leroy Jackson
    , contributor
    Comments (89) | Send Message

Seems I saw this news the last time HCLP took a dip. Rocky makes a good point. If you already have it going and supply drops your product will be in higher demand. I guess my concern would be how many permits HCLP is seeking and has been denied. If that number is zero then I suppose the next issue will come in a year. Will they close down the existing mines? I doubt it! Then I guess the supply of sand in the existing mines would be become an issue. Maybe they could do some lateral mining.
    23 Sep 2013, 03:36 PM Reply Like