Reuters: Nokia launching large-screen phones in September

Sources state Nokia (NOK -0.6%) will unveil multiple large-screen phones next month at an NYC event, and that one of them will be a phablet.

The Verge reported on Monday Nokia is working on a 6" phablet featuring a powerful camera, 1080p display, and high-end Qualcomm CPU. The site has also reported an Nokia Windows RT tablet launch is tentatively set to take place at an NYC event on Sep. 26.

Samsung is expected to unveil the Galaxy Note 3 (reported to have a 5.7" 1080p display) on Sep. 4, and begin shipping the device within the month.

From other sites
Comments (8)
  • DeepValueLover
    , contributor
    Comments (10238) | Send Message
    Making a great product is great but having the ability to sell it is a whole different story...

*sigh* Nokia...
    21 Aug 2013, 04:25 PM Reply Like
  • flybywire54
    , contributor
    Comments (727) | Send Message

Agree on your statement but why " sigh Nokia" ?
    One year and 8 months after the release of the very first lumia , I find the progress of Nokia sales for that line quite staggering ,particularly in view of the hyper competitive environment . Even the iPhone sales did not progress faster then the lumias during the early stage .
    Perhaps you should say " sigh BlackBerry" instead .
    21 Aug 2013, 10:06 PM Reply Like
  • DeepValueLover
    , contributor
    Comments (10238) | Send Message
    I have no solid opinion about Blackberry other than it is rare for a debt free company that still generates cash to trade so cheaply.

Anyway, the problem with Nokia is that the sales growth (though impressive compared to the ICU the company was in a year and a half ago) is NOT leading to growth in operating profits.

The #1 reason for this is massive bloat in the employee ranks.

Once the corporation starts getting serious about trimming the fat like Cisco then (perhaps) net income will begin to grow again.

It is a shame about Nokia because even a bear on the management like me recognizes the superiority of the company's mobile engineering.
    22 Aug 2013, 08:50 AM Reply Like
  • SexyJon
    , contributor
    Comments (36) | Send Message
    It looks like full steam ahead for Nokia. Now they are repeating the market approach they used with the cell phones before. Nokia became the king of the cell phone market by producing wider range of cell phones than any other company. And it worked because everyone found a quality built cellphone that was the right one for the person. The price was right and it had the features people wanted. Nokia is finally doing this for the smartphone buyers and I am sure they are doing the right thing and will soon be a major player in that market.
    21 Aug 2013, 04:43 PM Reply Like
  • heatnup
    , contributor
    Comments (86) | Send Message
    I agree Jon! At first I was worried with the number of phones, but then I remember the 25+ models back in the day and they were all awesome for someone...but each maybe not for me. I am seeing the same today again.
    21 Aug 2013, 04:57 PM Reply Like
  • Richard Waldren
    , contributor
    Comments (254) | Send Message
    Back in the day, was not Nokia $50.00 a share or so.
    21 Aug 2013, 05:28 PM Reply Like
  • css1971
    , contributor
    Comments (869) | Send Message
    Well if they kill off the aging WP7 models; 510, 610, 800, 900 which are still listed, they'll have space in the lineup.
    Same for Asha, kill off the old models.
    21 Aug 2013, 06:12 PM Reply Like
  • CyberAngel
    , contributor
    Comments (86) | Send Message
    My prediction:

Six new Tablets coming, 2 * RT, 4 * full models
    One known Phablet.
    The phone line seems to be renewing before Christmas,
    but I smell something that I can't get my mind right now...
    2 AM local time - past midnight in London