- Industry Minister James Moore, during a Reuters interview: "I know that they're facing their challenges and they're adjusting their firm internally ... all I can say is, we wish them well, and we're keeping a close eye on the situation."
- Moore didn't give a firm answer regarding whether the Canadian government would prevent BlackBerry (BBRY +1.4%) from being acquired by a foreign company. "We want them to do well, keep employing Canadians, keeping putting out innovative technologies and platforms, and we're paying close attention."
- Last year, PM Stephen Harper stated he hoped BlackBerry would grow as a "Canadian company."
- The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board has suggested it's open to buying a stake in BlackBerry, should it attempt to go private. If it does, Prem Watsa's Fairfax Financial and other Canadian investment firms could act as partners.
- However, the NY Post has reported BlackBerry wants a "Google-like" buyer to emerge.
Canadian minister: government keeping a "close eye" on BlackBerry
Aug 22 2013, 10:12 ET