More on Microsoft/Ballmer

Microsoft's (MSFT) board has formed a special committee to find a new CEO; Bill Gates is a member. Ballmer will remain CEO until a decision is made.

Two big questions: 1) Did Ballmer lose Gates' support? The Microsoft chairman's backing of Ballmer in the face of intense criticism is widely seen as a reason he has held onto the top job for such a long time. 2) Did activist investor ValueAct (reportedly seeking a board seat) play a role, and if it did, will its other ideas now have an audience?

Twitter is abuzz, with reactions to the move (unsurprisingly) quite favorable.

Microsoft continues to surge, shares +8.7% premarket to $35.20. News of Ballmer's departure has added $24B to the software giant's market cap.

Ballmer has sent out a memo. "I take this step in the best interests of the company I love."

Previous: Ballmer retiring within 12 months

From other sites
Comments (12)
  • bozly9
    Comments (19) | Send Message

Interesting to see that as a major owner of the company, Steve might make more $$ by stepping down then he did over the past 5 years during his tenor as CEO!
    23 Aug 2013, 09:32 AM Reply Like
  • Justin Jaynes
    Comments (3155) | Send Message

@Bozly - I was thinking the same thing. I don't follow MSFT closely, but I find it funny that one dude quitting is worth $24b
    23 Aug 2013, 09:34 AM Reply Like
  • nlitwinetz
    Comments (101) | Send Message

It really makes you wonder what MSFT were paying Balmer $1.3 million a year for. They could have made a better investment by paying me $1.3 million a year to sit on my couch and watch TV. At least I wouldn't have depressed the stock price by $24 billion.
    23 Aug 2013, 09:51 AM Reply Like
  • Sam Liu
    Comments (3711) | Send Message

Ballmer bought a lot of shares in his early years there. Remember they (Ballmer and Gates wanted or did devalue Paul Allen's portion of the company)?

Before Facebookesque?

Probably a Harvard thing.
    23 Aug 2013, 01:07 PM Reply Like
  • SivBum
    Comments (2767) | Send Message

John Chambers is next ... both stayed way way way way too long.
    23 Aug 2013, 09:32 AM Reply Like
  • jstratt
    Comments (4012) | Send Message

I would sell MSFT for a trade as the 8.7% rise on Ballmer news is emotional and will dissipate nearly as quickly as it arrived.
    23 Aug 2013, 09:37 AM Reply Like
  • Left Banker
    Comments (3882) | Send Message

I'm looking at you, Tim Cook.
    23 Aug 2013, 09:38 AM Reply Like
  • jjmc2001
    Comments (1358) | Send Message

I took this opportunity to sell all my MSFT @35.25. Thanks Steve for finally unlocking shareholder value.
    23 Aug 2013, 10:03 AM Reply Like
  • Skippy09
    Comments (1940) | Send Message

jjmc -
    Couldn't have put it better!
    I actually did LOL when I read that one.
    24 Aug 2013, 10:17 PM Reply Like
  • techy46
    Comments (11981) | Send Message

Way too much over reaction to decision to replace Ballmer. He's not the real problem which is that Consumer Technology now generates more revenue and profits then Information Technology which has been Wintel's ecosystem for almost 40 years. I'm not sure IT enterprises should really want to become providers of toys to monkeys but that does not conform to Wall Streets mantra of allows chasing bigger growth.
    23 Aug 2013, 11:06 AM Reply Like
  • sikkabooyah
    Comments (457) | Send Message

Moron Microsoft/Ballmer?
    23 Aug 2013, 01:39 PM Reply Like
  • tawse57
    Comments (831) | Send Message

MS's share price has been driven up this year by QE, a hedgie taking a major position in it and now Ballmer leaving.

Methinks only disappointment lies ahead.
    24 Aug 2013, 01:08 AM Reply Like