- July new home sales fell 13.4% to an adjusted annual rate of 394K, far below expectations of 487K. The 394K pace is still 6.8% above the pace of one year ago. Given the current pace of sales, inventory rose to 5.2 months worth of homes from 3.9 in June.
- The U.S. Home Construction ETF (ITB -3%). Weighted more heavily on building suppliers than the builders themselves, the S&P Homebuilders ETF (XHB -1.9%).
- Lennar (LEN -3.8%), Toll Brothers (TOL -4.1%), Ryland (RYL -5.1%), KB Home (KBH -4.4%), D.R. Horton (DHI -3.7%), Hovnanian (HOV -3.3%).
- Treasury prices cut sizable losses and turn green, TLT +0.3%.
- Treasury ETFs: TLH, TLT, IEF, DTYL, DLBL, ILTB, TENZ, ITE, TLO, EDV, VGIT, VGLT, TMF, TYD, LBND, UBT, UST, TMV, TYO, DSTJ, DSXJ, SBND, PST, TBT, DTYS, DLBS, TBF, TTT, TYNS, TYBS, TBX.
Tumble in new home sales hits builders
Aug 23 2013, 10:12 ET