- "It sounds like America is desperate to have a war," says Jim Rogers, and oil and gold are going to go a lot higher if so. "No matter how well the plans are made, strange things happen in war and who knows what the unintended consequences will (bring)."
- Turning to the tumult in Asian emerging markets (Turkey thrown in as well), Rogers says we haven't seen anything yet. All of these countries have been financing huge trade deficits with the West's "artificial free money," and will suffer as that day ends. The real declines haven't even started, says Rogers, looking for something in the 40-80% range.
- On that note is this Ambrose Evans-Pritchard piece from last night arguing the Fed's blind eye towards emerging markets threatens a repeat of the fall 1998 panic. "Other countries simply have to take (the rout in their markets) as a reality and adjust to us," said the Atlanta Fed's Dennis Lockhart in Jackson Hole. Developed markets are going to regret that attitude says Pritchard.
- Emerging market ETFs: AGEM, EEM, ADRE, SCHE, GMM, VWO, DEM, EWEM, PXH, PIE, EWX, DGS, EMLB, EDC, EET, EMSA, EDZ, EEV, EUM, TLTE, HILO, EELV, EEMA, EMFT, DVYE, FEMS, EVAL, EGRW, EMCR, IEMG, EMDR, EEME.
- Country ETFs: EIDO, IDX, IDXJ, TUR, THD, TTF, TF, INDY, EPI, PIN, INP, INDA, INXX, SCIF, SCIN, INDL, SMIN.
- Gold and oil: GLD, IAU, SGOL, PHYS, AGOL, DGL, UBG, DGP, UGL, DZZ, GLL, DGZ, UGLD, DGLD, GLDI, OIL, USO, DBO, OLO, USL, CRUD, UCO, DTO, SCO, SZO, DNO, UWTI, DWTI, EPHE.
Rogers: Gold and oil headed far higher, EM far lower
Aug 29 2013, 07:57 ET