- In-line with rumors, Sony's (SNE +1.2%) Xperia Z1 (codenamed Honami) sports a 20.7MP camera, replete with a high-end sensor and large aperture, and Qualcomm's (QCOM +0.9%) top-of-the-line Snapdragon 800 CPU (quad-core, 2.2 GHz.). (live blog)
- It also features a 5" 1080p display (similar to the Xperia Z, but the LCD panel has been upgraded), a unibody aluminum case (very iPhone-like), waterproofing, a giant 3,000 mAh battery, and Facebook livestreaming support.
- Sony has also launched its anticipated QX10/100 "lens camera" accessories (previous), which are compatible with 3rd-party Android and iOS hardware, and a second-gen SmartWatch. The Verge calls the latter device an improvement over its predecessor, but doesn't like its €199 price tag.
- 4K-capable projectors, camcorders, and Bravia TVs are also being shown off, as are new VAIO PCs.
- Thanks to healthy Japanese/European demand, Sony's smartphone sales have grown rapidly this year in spite of having a strong high-end tilt at a time when industry growth has been shifting towards low-end/mid-range devices. The company is counting on the Z1 and the 6.4" Xperia Z Ultra to help maintain that momentum.
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (Jul 13, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (Jun 10, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (Jun 4, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (Jun 2, 2015)
at CNBC.com (May 27, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs