- The Bank of Japan votes unanimously to stay the monetary policy course aimed at boosting the monetary base by ¥60-70T annually.
- "Japan's economy is recovering moderately," the central bank says, marking an update to the language used in August, when Kuroda and company said the economy was "starting to recover."
- At issue now is whether a sales tax hike (designed to help shore up the country's public debt) will derail the recovery and pressure BOJ Governor Kuroda to take further action to stimulate growth.
- Full statement
- The Nikkei (+0.1%) and the yen (-0.7%) are little changed on the news.
- Equity and JGB ETFs: EWJ, NKY, EWV, EZJ, ITF, JSC, JPP, DXJ, SCJ, DFJ, FJP, JPNL, JPNS, DXJS, JGBT, JGBL, JGBS, JGBD
- Currency: FXY, JYN, YCL, YCS