- Holding a "fireside chat" at the annual TechCrunch Disrupt conference (webcast), Marissa Mayer states Yahoo (YHOO) now has 800M+ monthly active users (not counting Tumblr, which has 300M+ monthly unique visitors), up 20% from when she became CEO last summer.
- Mayer adds Yahoo now has 350M+ mobile MAUs. However, many of them stem from pre-installed iPhone apps that aren't monetized. Odds are those iPhone have a lot to do with Yahoo's recent MAU growth.
- comScore recently estimated Yahoo had passed Google to become the most visited U.S. Web property, if one accounts for Tumblr.
- Also mentioned: Yahoo is now getting 12K resumes/week, and the size of its mobile team has grown 10x since Mayer became CEO. In a remark shining a light on Yahoo's product strategy, Mayer states Yahoo is "a personalization company" at heart.
- The Yahoo CEO also gives search partner Microsoft (MSFT) some CEO search advice, calling on the software giant to appoint an exec with solid enterprise chops in light of Microsoft's relative strength in the area. Mayer: "Consumer execs and enterprise execs have different traits and different instincts." Server & Tools chief Satya Nadella might be pleased to hear that, Stephen Elop less so.
Yahoo +0.6% AH as Mayer talks at TechCrunch Disrupt
Sep 11 2013, 17:52 ET