- Tesla Motors (TSLA -0.6%) will develop a self-driving car within three years, according to CEO Elon Musk.
- The exec sees the concept allowing 90% of the driving function to move to an on-board computer system in a development that could have broad implications for General Motors' (GM +1.3%) OnStar or even Apple if a standard industry-wide operating system is established.
- While Daimler (DDAIF.PK), Nissan (NSANY.OB), and Audi (VLKAY.PK) are all dabbling with autonomous driving technology, Google is ahead of the game with real road tests taking place in Silicon Valley.
- Previous on TSLA: Job posting tips off Tesla's plans for self-driving system.
- Previous on self-driving: Open the car door HAL.
Clear the highway, automakers looking at self-driving car concept
Sep 18 2013, 09:56 ET