- "We never had an objective to sell a low-cost phone," says Tim Cook (AAPL +1.8%) in a BloombergBusinessweek cover story, defending the iPhone 5C's pricing amid criticism it's too expensive to challenge cheaper Android phones that have helped give Google's OS a 79% smartphone share (per IDC).
- Adds Cook: "There’s always a large junk part of the market ... We’re not in the junk business." Some might disagree all of the latest mid-range Android phones fit that description. Meanwhile, Jony Ive takes a not-so-subtle jab at Samsung's product strategy. "We didn’t start opportunistically with 10 bits of technology that we could try to find a use for to add to our features list."
- Gene Munster forecasts 5M-6M iPhones will be sold this weekend, after the 5S/5C go on sale on Friday. That's only a little above last year's 5M first-weekend iPhone 5 sales, something Munster attributes to supply constraints. BTIG is more optimistic, predicting at least 6M weekend sales.
- iOS 7 was installed on 29% of all iOS devices within 16 hours of yesterday's release. The download activity was strong enough to make total Internet traffic spike in parts of the U.S. and Europe; that's an incremental positive for Apple CDN partner Akamai (AKAM +0.4%).
- The Verge's David Pierce has given iOS 7 a score of 8/10. He's a fan of the OS' Control Center and improved notifications, but calls its design "disjointed and confusing in places," and its icons "horrible." "iOS 7 is full of big, sweeping changes ... but in the end the new visuals don’t offer much change under the surface. Not yet, anyway."
Cook defends 5C's pricing, analysts set weekend iPhone targets
From other sites
at CNBC.com (Mon, 3:58PM)
at BNN.com (Mon, 12:16PM)
at 4-traders.com (Mon, 12:14PM)
at 4-traders.com (Mon, 12:00PM)
at 4-traders.com (Mon, 4:46AM)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs