- The new RT tablet, simply known as Surface 2 (MSFT +0.1%), offers a better display than the Surface RT (1080p vs. 1366x768) to go with a revamped kickstand, improved battery life (Microsoft promises a 25% gain), and Nvidia (NVDA -1.4%) Tegra 4 CPU (the RT used a Tegra 3). (live blog) (details)
- Revamped Touch Cover and Type Cover accessories are also being shown off. The new Touch Cover has 1,092 sensors, whereas the original only had 80.
- The Surface 2 will start at a high-end price point of $449; though demand for ~$200 Android tablets has taken off, companies other than Apple have largely had a rough time competing in the high-end. The Surface Pro 2, which is more of a PC/tablet convertible than a standard tablet, starts at $899.
- PC OEMs have been abandoning the RT tablet market, as the ARM-based platform struggles with weak demand and a dearth of developer support relative to iOS/Android.
- Microsoft announced today there are now 100K apps in the Windows Store, up from 10K a year ago. The Windows Store covers both Window 8 and RT apps.
- Earlier: Microsoft announces Surface 2 Pro