- Japan's current account surplus fell 64% on year to a record low of ¥161.5B ($1.7B) in August, well under the ¥577.3B recorded in July and consensus of ¥520B.
- The trade deficit climbed 33.5% on year to ¥885.9B vs ¥943.3B in July and forecasts of ¥880.1B, with the weaker yen leading to higher import costs.
- Overseas income fell for the first time in nine months.
- Nikkei +0.4%; USD-JPY +0.5% to ¥97.15.
- ETFs - Stocks: EWJ, NKY, EWV, EZJ, ITF, JSC, JPP, DXJ, SCJ, DFJ, FJP, JPNL, JPNS, DXJS. Bonds: JGBT, JGBL, JGBS, JGBD. Currency: FXY, JYN, YCL, YCS
Japan's current account surplus slumps far more than expected
Oct 8 2013, 01:51 ET