- The EPA seeks to calm a furor over its apparent proposal to reduce ethanol use in gasoline next year (I, II), saying no final decisions have been made and the Obama administration remains committed to developing biofuels as a part of the plan to reduce U.S. dependence on imported oil.
- Growth Energy, a pro-ethanol group, calls for an investigation of the leak of what it says are unverified draft documents that were still under review.
- Ethanol groups fear any wavering on the use of ethanol could undermine their future, while oil refiners say the law is forcing them to spend billions of dollars to buy ethanol credits and driving up gasoline prices.
- Top ethanol/biofuels stocks: GPRE, REGI, PEIX.
- ETFs: FUE, IEO, IEZ, IYE, PXE, PXI, XES, XLE, XOP, VDE, RYE, FXN, OIH, PXJ, PSCE, ERX, DIG, ERY, DUG, DDG.
EPA backpedals after documents show cutback in 2014 ethanol blend
Oct 11 2013, 18:50 ET