Apple taps Burberry chief to head retail and online ops

Apple (AAPL) has named Angela Ahrendts, the CEO of British luxury brand Burberry (BBRYF.PK),  to the newly created position of Senior VP of Retail & Online Stores. Ahrendts is set to join in the spring.

Apple has been without a retail head since John Browett was shown the door a year ago, leaving CEO Tim Cook in charge of retail on an interim basis

Burberry will replace Ahrendts with its Chief Creative Officer, Christopher Bailey. (PR)

From other sites
Comments (12)
  • Joe Dirnfeld
    Comments (1124) | Send Message

Cook is stupid
    15 Oct 2013, 09:21 AM Reply Like
  • SoIncrediblyBored
    Comments (39) | Send Message

Thank you for your informed opinion. I'm glad you felt the need to contribute to the SA community.
    15 Oct 2013, 10:37 AM Reply Like
  • The Long Tail of Finance
    Comments (1749) | Send Message

Well, under Ahrendtsleast, if nothing else, I'll at least be able to get a cool Burberry plaid cover for my phone.
    15 Oct 2013, 09:38 AM Reply Like
  • Atkins
    Comments (1049) | Send Message

This is a terrific hiring. Angela Ahrendts single-handedly revitalized the Burberry brand. She's a true star in the retail world.
    15 Oct 2013, 10:07 AM Reply Like
  • JamesAlpine
    Comments (74) | Send Message

Agreed. I was delighted when I heard. Incredibly we'll respected.
    15 Oct 2013, 01:57 PM Reply Like
  • Tales From The Future
    Comments (7619) | Send Message

Apple's future (at least for new product categories) could very well be in wearables. I think the trend is clear even if it's not the rumored watch worn on the wrist.

So coming from a clothing/fashion company could have been one plus on Angela's CV to work for AAPL, maybe I'm reading too much into this...
    15 Oct 2013, 11:29 AM Reply Like
  • Humble Eagles
    Comments (2767) | Send Message

They are hiring so many high fashion and apparel stars, you have to wonder if the iHandbag will come before the iTV and iWatch.
    15 Oct 2013, 11:40 AM Reply Like
  • Tales From The Future
    Comments (7619) | Send Message

Maybe not a handbag, but electronics and sensors may be worn in fabric and clothing over the next years....give or take 5-10 years.

To me, this is the future of the current iPod line. In this context it makes sense to hire someone from a fashion house (note AAPL also hired key execs from YSL and Nike recently).
    15 Oct 2013, 06:14 PM Reply Like
  • JamesAlpine
    Comments (74) | Send Message

Tftf, Humble
    I think it's a move to unlock emerging economies. Not necessarily a product. But then I don't know jack, I'm not sitting on their Board! ;)
    15 Oct 2013, 01:59 PM Reply Like
  • Humble Eagles
    Comments (2767) | Send Message

Yep, I know nothing about Burberry, but I read she did wonders in Asia.
    15 Oct 2013, 04:13 PM Reply Like
  • Derek A. Barrett
    Comments (3554) | Send Message

Another Ball State grad dominating
    15 Oct 2013, 02:32 PM Reply Like
  • consultnick
    Comments (392) | Send Message

Apple's recent hires are like the creme-de-la-creme of the fashion world, and when you realize that they must share Johnny Ive's vision or they wouldn't have been hired in the first place--you get just a tiny glimpse of a fantastic future....of a company that will create that future! This is going to be a long and inspiring ride. Cook is actively trolling the planet for its finest talents and sensibilities. That's the real R&D we should be looking at. The creative synergy potential is electrifying.
    24 Apr 2014, 02:36 AM Reply Like