Apple launches iPad Air, makes more software free

• The 5th-gen iPad (AAPL - unchanged) has been unveiled; Apple is calling it the iPad Air. The device is 20% thinner than its predecessor, and ~30% lighter (it weighs 1 pound).
  • As rumored, the Air has thinner (iPad Mini-like) bezels, and contains Apple's 64-bit A7 CPU and M7 motion co-processor (both are found in the iPhone 5S). Apple claims up to 10 hours of battery life (same as the 4th-gen iPad).
  • Pricing is unchanged relative to 4th-gen models: a 16GB Wi-Fi-only Air goes for $499. The tablet ships on Nov. 1. The iPad 2 is being kept around, and without price cuts (it starts at $399).
  • Cumulative iPad sales have passed 170M, and over 475K of the App Store's 1M apps have been optimized for the iPad. There were 375K iPad-specific apps in June.
  • Also: Apple has updated its iLife media apps - iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand - as well as its iWork productivity suite. The iLife apps have joined iWork (previous) in being free to buyers of new iOS hardware. Between the free iOS apps and Mavericks, Apple is now clearly content to give away software to drive hardware sales.
  • live blog, webcast
  • More on Apple
From other sites
Comments (41)
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

AAPL price meandering!
    22 Oct 2013, 02:18 PM Reply Like
  • 2puttwo
    Comments (480) | Send Message

iPad two chopped its price. Maybe I went to wrong Invitational. Oh well, I thought they did.
    22 Oct 2013, 08:21 PM Reply Like
  • cog
    Comments (2) | Send Message

It also cures cancer!
    22 Oct 2013, 02:24 PM Reply Like
  • johnjakubowski
    Comments (170) | Send Message

AAPL just killed it.
    22 Oct 2013, 02:24 PM Reply Like
  • scott trader
    Comments (4899) | Send Message

Apple products always set the bar too high for the competition.....not fair for the second tier.....poor msft Samsung Bbry htc Lenovo ........
    22 Oct 2013, 04:32 PM Reply Like
  • strozzi
    Comments (82) | Send Message

All solid upgrades that will motivate sales, but the iPad Air is brilliant, almost the iPad reinvented because of the slim form factor and power of the A7. My guess is it will do especially well in enterprise penetration. The Pro will be interesting to follow as it finds its way into video, film, 3D graphics and the like. It will make many millions of dollars for Apple but I think is more of a symbol for the high end of their capabilities.
    22 Oct 2013, 02:30 PM Reply Like
  • 2puttwo
    Comments (480) | Send Message

strozzi, I think you meant billions of dollars. Apple has gotten it's mojo back. Can't wait for earning to come out on the 28th. Should be great big bounce.
    22 Oct 2013, 06:50 PM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

Tim Cook got Apple's mojo back, but 1 year late from when he promised.

This makes no difference as I am a cautious consumer, I did buy a "Time Machine" last week.
    22 Oct 2013, 10:27 PM Reply Like
  • suwang
    Comments (2) | Send Message

Apple named air because they are going to have a 12" iPad. That's a true upgrade for iPad.
    23 Oct 2013, 01:22 AM Reply Like
  • bfmil
    Comments (221) | Send Message

Devices have been getting smaller, faster, thinner, lighter, etc. for years. Nothing truly innovative unfortunately. Hope the sales outshine the innovation vacuum.
    22 Oct 2013, 02:34 PM Reply Like
  • Jack Baker
    Comments (896) | Send Message

Except for Samsung devices which keep getting bigger.
    22 Oct 2013, 02:41 PM Reply Like
  • billddrummer
    Comments (1694) | Send Message

And MSFT devices that keep getting heavier
    22 Oct 2013, 03:10 PM Reply Like
  • aardvark3
    Comments (471) | Send Message

...and uglier.
    22 Oct 2013, 06:03 PM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (3903) | Send Message

Can't hold 1 lb?
    22 Oct 2013, 10:06 PM Reply Like
  • scott trader
    Comments (4899) | Send Message

Msft is going to give a google glass device a shot ,this I have to see..
    22 Oct 2013, 10:25 PM Reply Like
  • aardvark3
    Comments (471) | Send Message

That's hilarious. Did they give up the redesign of the Edsel?
    23 Oct 2013, 08:47 AM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

by May 2015, I will have a new 15" MBP courtesy of Shanghai Apple, a new 13" MB + fee from BBY, still don't see a place for a 10" IPAD, possibly a refurb IPAD mini 3 w/cellular to replace my iPod Touches.

Just no IPhone, I think I've gone Apple manic since I bought my 3rd Apple product for personal.
    22 Oct 2013, 02:38 PM Reply Like
  • mhanley
    Comments (43) | Send Message

Don't understand why they would not have put a wireless AC adapter in this model.
    22 Oct 2013, 02:47 PM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

keep up with the times.
    22 Oct 2013, 03:00 PM Reply Like
  • mhanley
    Comments (43) | Send Message

Hunh? Your comment makes no sense. I suggest you keep up with the times and do some research before you make ignorant statements.
    22 Oct 2013, 03:06 PM Reply Like
  • Rappenco
    Comments (603) | Send Message

Apparently anytime Apple makes an announcement or introduces a refresh it is time to make money on the options. The volatility goes haywire and buying puts for a couple hour trade looks like the ticket.
    Couple hours is the key however because in the long run the refreshes will bring the stock price higher.
    Maybe it is any time Tim Cook speaks the stock tanks?
    22 Oct 2013, 02:48 PM Reply Like
  • Ninja Trader
    Comments (910) | Send Message

You must be referring to Obama.
    22 Oct 2013, 03:33 PM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (3903) | Send Message

Again, no surprises, incremental updates and NO innovations, why upgrade if my iPad 3 works just fine as an overpriced paperweight it is.
    22 Oct 2013, 04:18 PM Reply Like
  • scott trader
    Comments (4899) | Send Message

Overpriced paperweight .....really that's all you can contribute ......look at the specs if you can comprehend.........
    22 Oct 2013, 04:33 PM Reply Like
  • Piero A.
    Comments (336) | Send Message

Where is the innovation from Samsung, MSFT or Google. Apple is always first and that my friend is innovation. You may not see the innovation but I sure do. I don't know what you were expecting but there must be no pleasing you. Maybe you should try using an iPad Air before you make claims.
    22 Oct 2013, 06:01 PM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

some surprises in Apple's pricing strategy.

I do like the IPAD mini 2's update but would I truly need that.
    22 Oct 2013, 10:29 PM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (3903) | Send Message

I did look at the specs, its an ipod.
    23 Oct 2013, 10:12 AM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (3903) | Send Message

Piero,

Always first? You must be new.

Lets look at innovation. Who made the first tablet/PC with a full operating system on it? Microsoft Surface Pro. iPad runs the iPod OS and cant run full applications.

iPad can't even run more than one app at a time.
    iPad can't run two program side by side in split screen
    iPad can't open a website like youtube without an app.
    iPad can't do much of anything useful.

Even Microsoft's worst product, the Surface RT, can do all these.
    23 Oct 2013, 10:14 AM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

Apple's new pricing approach is an effort to thwart advances from Microsoft, which has begun offering its own tablets running Windows 8 and recently purchased hardware maker Nokia
    23 Oct 2013, 10:20 AM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

I don't know when I'll indulge myself with an IPAD new mini but b/c of Applecare policy I would have to get it in HK rather than SF and b/c of cellular disabling in Cn, I would fall into the HK-version.

It is all about Applecare and the Apple Store experience. These are to replace my IPod touches and suffice as for my demented but cheaper, much cheaper version of an IPhone.

Not returning to Windows OS or Ms s/w and Android is shaky though I can see a Nexus or mid-priced MOT (hated my RAZR) phone in the future.
    23 Oct 2013, 10:28 AM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (3903) | Send Message

What was such a bad experience with W8? I don't understand because you can do a lot more, and you know that's true, and long MSFT, your position is confusing.
    23 Oct 2013, 11:37 AM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

My brother-in-law said Win 7 was solid, so I looked forward a year and a half ago buying a mid-priced Samsung Series 5. But after using it over the summer of 12 slightly and not getting my refurb-HTC Evo 3d to work, I was disappointed. Especially after returning to Cn in Sept, somehow that notebook crushed, then I called BBY Geek Squad of how to get it fixed, (though BBY Cn moved out, what it acquired cn's 5-Star) would not honour that warrantee.

So I when I went back to SF in November to get it fixed. It always troubled me how the Geek Squad known for its instant fixes, but that SF-head store would need to send it south to get it fixed.

I'm tired of Microsoft, Best Buy and all those shoddy OEMs. My next backup computer to my Mac will just be another Mac. Windows and its vendors did this too themselves, a resentful user and consumer.

I was long MSFT in 2006 before I owned my 1st Windows OS notebook. The Apple experience makes me happy!
    23 Oct 2013, 12:22 PM Reply Like
  • scott trader
    Comments (4899) | Send Message

How many iPods did apple sell.."....next
    24 Oct 2013, 12:17 PM Reply Like
  • jjkiam
    Comments (378) | Send Message

The truly shocking take away from today's announcements is that unlike recent events - the shorts got taken to the cleaners and the stock price held strong against the tide of selling that has been the norm for all their other announcements! Looks like TC has broken the curse of cratering the stock whenever he makes a public address! Now the stock has held above 515 and should see significant upward momentum going into next weeks 4th qtr results. It will be very interesting to see how the lead into the call develops
    22 Oct 2013, 04:25 PM Reply Like
  • MustangMajor
    Comments (102) | Send Message

Nobody ever mentions the aftermarket add-ons that we AAPL
    addicts purchase to trick out our devices. Docks, connection
    cords, protective and vanity cases and covers, frequently no
    longer work with or fit the upgrades. The margin of error for
    on line purchases from Amazon or the like are exponentially
    increased as the thickness or port locations change. Already,
    1meter 30 pin OEM charge cords are drying up. Counterfeits
    are so shabby they can break or start fires. It's expensive to
    retain our position as owners of the coolest stuff!
    22 Oct 2013, 04:49 PM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

" It's expensive to retain our position as owners"

It cost me far less and much more productivity and enjoyment using the coolest stuff on earth!
    22 Oct 2013, 10:31 PM Reply Like
  • flabingo
    Comments (90) | Send Message

Spent 90% talking about everything but the new IPads and 10% on the big story
    22 Oct 2013, 09:30 PM Reply Like
  • jpintoctr
    Comments (459) | Send Message

Upgrades of software flawless and fast. New Mavericks is great and the iWork suite work for me is a challenge for Office, now that Apple made it free.

I look forward to November 1st and upgrade to the new Air.
    23 Oct 2013, 01:39 AM Reply Like
  • privacy1015
    Comments (21) | Send Message

I have an Ipad 2 so why buy the new Air? Because the Air is technologically better snd the form factor cool. I can afford it so why not? I think there are many folks like me out there too! Between the 5s and Air alone, some of Apple's cool factor as been enhanced.
    23 Oct 2013, 07:16 AM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (3903) | Send Message

I like to be able to do more on a tablet than watch youtube or listen to iTunes.
    23 Oct 2013, 10:17 AM Reply Like
  • scott trader
    Comments (4899) | Send Message

Maybe take a class and learn how to use one...
    24 Oct 2013, 12:18 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub