- Though its Q3 results beat estimates, Infinera (INFN -9.4%) guided on its CC (transcript) for Q4 revenue of $130M-$140M and EPS of breakeven to -$0.04, below a consensus of $141.1M and $0.03. Gross margin is expected to fall back to ~40% after rising to 49% in Q3 (+1000 bps Q/Q and Y/Y).
- While Infinera expects to benefit from "a number of significant new wins and deployments" in Q4, the company doesn't "expect significant budget flush or year-end money" from carriers.
- Moreover, while Infinera has won a number of new deals - five new purchase commitments were scored for its DTN-X optical transmission platform - deal timing "remains challenging because of [Infinera's] short lead times and the strategic nature of many of these customer decisions."
- Ciena (CIEN -7.3%) is selling off on the guidance and commentary, as are many optical component suppliers. Ericsson's numbers might not be helping either. CIEN -7.6%. FNSR -7.2%. JDSU -3.4%. NPTN -2.4%. OCLR -2.3%. AFOP -3.2%.
- Infinera also disclosed CFO Ita Brennan is resigning, effective Feb. 28, 2014, to work for a startup. The company says it will start a search for a replacement.
at Zacks.com (Oct 28, 2014)