- Eight days after officially launching its Android/iOS BBM apps and a week after announcing downloads had passed 10M, BlackBerry (BBRY +1.1%) announces downloads have topped 20M. That, in turn, has increased the size of BBM's base (includes ~60M users on BlackBerry phones) to 80M+ monthly active users (MAUs).
- BlackBerry adds the Android app topped Google Play's free app rankings in 35 countries during its first week, and the iOS apps topped the App Store's free app rankings in 107 countries.
- The download activity comes in spite of critical/muted reviews that tend to highlight missing features.
- BBM is still ranked at #2 on App Annie's U.S. iPhone free download chart, and #6 on its U.S. Google Play free download chart.
- Mobile messaging leader WhatsApp has 350M+ MAUs.