- In tandem with its Q3 results, Proto Labs (PRLB -6.8%) announces CEO Brad Cleveland is resigning once a successor is found.
- Cleveland: "I've been the CEO from $1 million in revenue until today. I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would welcome the chance to someday do it all over again in another industry."
- The announcement is leading Proto Labs to sell off even though the prototyping services firm beat Q3 estimates and issued solid Q4 guidance - revenue of $42M-$45M and EPS of $0.35-$0.39 vs. a consensus of $42M and $0.37 - on its CC (webcast).
- Sales of Proto Labs' Protomold injection molding services rose 25% Y/Y in Q3 to $29.5M, and sales of its Firstcut machined parts services rose 39% to $12.5M. The number of product developers served rose 23% Y/Y, and spending per developer rose 5%.
- Domestic sales (73% of revenue) rose 23%, and international sales rose 51%. Gross margin rose 90 bps Y/Y to 61.7%.