- Yahoo Finance (YHOO -0.3%) is the latest Yahoo property to see its apps get a major overhaul. As with other refreshes, Yahoo is emphasizing personalization - a list of followed/monitored stocks appears on the home screen, and a news feed fine-tuned to account for a reader's followed stocks is provided. For now, only the iOS app is covered.
- The Yahoo Finance site will also be seeing those features added, along with a more streamlined/polished UI meant to emphasize headlines and charts, a revamped portfolio tracker, and a variety of updates to individual pages. The WSJ reports the site update was originally set for this morning, but was pushed back due to an unspecified issue.
- YF remains a giant in the financial portal space, but complaints have grown in recent years about its performance, reliability, and update pace. Also, YF's mobile app usage share has lagged its Web share.
- The addition of personalized news feeds should open the door for Yahoo to sell its Stream Ads on YF.
- Separately, Tim Converse, a top Yahoo data scientist, has left for eBay. Converse's LinkedIn page indicates he "worked on machine learning techniques for [Yahoo's] personalization group."
Yahoo updating Finance apps, site; data scientist leaves for eBay
Nov 6 2013, 13:27 ET