Twitter IPO plays dive in spite of strong IPO

Were investors expecting too much? Even though Twitter opened sharply higher on IPO day (shares are now up 81% to $47.06), shareholders GSV Capital (GSVC -9.5%) and the Firsthand Technology Value Fund (SVVC -7.4%) are heading south. It's worth noting many other Internet momentum plays are also selling off.

GSVC and (to a lesser extent) SVVC have been rallying due to Twitter IPO hopes. Twitter accounted for 15.1% of GSV's net asset value at the end of Q2; the company reports after the close.

From other sites
Comments (10)
  • spiritrider1951
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

I feel like a fool having purchased GSVC at $14+ and $17+. I dreamt that the company would soar after the TWTR IPO. Disappointment city. Peace
    7 Nov 2013, 11:52 AM Reply Like
  • mmravi
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

me too :(
    I am wondering if I should sell now or tomorrow after they report... any ideas?
    7 Nov 2013, 12:07 PM Reply Like
  • mganchi
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

what report you talking about???
    7 Nov 2013, 05:30 PM Reply Like
  • cleberg
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Pretty hard to understand why GSVC is down 13% as Twitter soars way past its GSVC valuation. BTW GSVC has delayed the earnings call to Monday.
    7 Nov 2013, 05:30 PM Reply Like
  • feenst
    , contributor
    Comments (48) | Send Message

$SVVC is @ 22.30. Bases on a NAV of 29.23. I get a discount of 23.7%
    7 Nov 2013, 12:24 PM Reply Like
  • A-rod
    , contributor
    Comments (8) | Send Message

Let the hype cool off, GSVC will hopefully bounce back a bit, I believe Chegg is going public soon, Im waiting for Palantir
    7 Nov 2013, 01:15 PM Reply Like
  • THE QUILL
    , contributor
    Comments (100) | Send Message

Let's face it IPOS are for wealthy not the little guy I also bought some of GSVC thinking I also could get in on the game through GSVC not to happen I've made a choice to stay away. THE QUILL
    7 Nov 2013, 05:28 PM Reply Like
  • arvindsharma16
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

Why did GSVC tank? (due to hedge funds or mgmt...)
    Will it come back to $15 or going south to $10.........
    Any comments plz.
    7 Nov 2013, 05:30 PM Reply Like
  • ag.surfer
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

To be honest, I thought the true value of GSVC should be around $12 at best. Everything past that is all "hyped IPO" play. Once the IPO starts, it goes into the correction phrase towards its true value regardless if the IPO goes bull slowly(as in facebook) or instantly(as in twitter). We saw that in Facebook and we are seeing it with Twitter now. I fell sorry for whoever stay on GSVC past the initial IPO.
    7 Nov 2013, 10:06 PM Reply Like
  • paulmichael
    , contributor
    Comments (149) | Send Message

Good idea to cover with puts and hold - this may likely bounce back, but in case not, you know what to do. P
    10 Nov 2013, 12:58 AM Reply Like