- Shire (SHPG) has agreed to acquire ViroPharma (VPHM) for $4.2B in a deal that will fit into the U.K. company's strategy of expanding its rare-disease portfolio and create a revenue base in the area of $2B.
- ViroPharma provides the treatment Cinryze for the prophylactic treatment of hereditary angioedema (HAE), which is when the deeper layers of the skin swell due to a build-up of fluid. Shire said Cinryze will complement its Firazyr injection for acute HAE.
- Shire will pay $50 a share for ViroPharma, or a 27% premium on Friday's closing price of $39.38.
- Shire expects annual cost synergies of around $150M by 2015, and that the deal will immediately add to its earnings after completion.
- Shire will finance the deal from its cash resources, as well as from existing and new bank facilities. (PR)
From other sites
at CNBC.com (Thu, 10:36AM)
at CNBC.com (Jan 16, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Jan 15, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Jan 13, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Jan 12, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs