- The secret, dirty cost of the U.S. ethanol push: The ethanol era has proven far more damaging to the environment than promised and much worse than the government admits today, according to an AP analysis. (also)
- As farmers rushed to find new places to plant corn, they wiped out millions of acres of conservation land, destroyed habitat and polluted water supplies, the report says; 5M acres of land set aside for conservation have vanished on Obama's watch.
- Government mandates to increase ethanol production have helped drive up corn prices, leading to marginal land being farmed to produce the crop; in 2012, 44% of the U.S. corn crop was used for fuel, about twice the rate in 2006.
- Relevant stocks: VLO, ADM, PEIX, BIOF, GPRE, REGI
- ETFs: FUE, IEO, IEX, IYE, PXE, PXI, XES, XLE, XOP, VDE, RYE, FXN, OIH, PXJ, PSCE, ERX, DIG, ERY, DUG, DDG
AP report: The ethanol push is "an ecological disaster"
Nov 12 2013, 19:15 ET