- Though Dangdang's (DANG) Q3 revenue was slightly below the guidance range it provided in its Q3 warning, the Chinese e-commerce firm posted Q3 EPS of -$0.06, beating a -$0.09 consensus. A key reason: Dangdang had a gross margin of 17.6%, up 50 bps Q/Q and 240 bps Y/Y.
- As noted in the warning, Dangdang has been trying to cut its dependence on lower-margin goods (even if doing so hurts near-term sales), and is transitioning from being an online bookseller to a provider of a wide variety of products aimed at "mid- to high-end customers."
- Also boosting EPS: fulfillment spend fell to 11.7% of revenue from 12% in Q2 and 14.4% a year ago, and tech/content spend fell to 2.9% of revenue from 3.1% in Q2 and 3.2% a year ago. Marketing spend was 3.8% of revenue, down from 5.1% in Q2 and up from 3.6% a year ago.
- The company had 8.4M active customers in Q3, up from 7.6M in Q2 and up 21% Y/Y; Q2 growth was 28%. Total orders rose to 15.7M from Q2's 15M, and were up 13% Y/Y. That's a notable slowdown from Q2's 25% growth.
- Dangdang is guiding for Q4 revenue of RMB1.938B ($318.3M), below a $321.4M consensus.
- Peer LightInTheBox (LITB) is up 5% premarket. The company reports on the morning of Nov. 19.
- Q3 results, PR
Dangdang +8.4% premarket; EPS beat overshadows revenue miss
Check out Seeking Alpha’s new New Earnings Center
Are you Bullish or Bearish on ?
Results for ()
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
From other sites
at Benzinga.com (Jan 9, 2015)
at MarketWatch.com (Sep 23, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Aug 14, 2014)
at Fox Business (Aug 5, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Feb 27, 2014)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs