- Samsung (SSNLF, SSNGY) widened its lead over Apple (AAPL) in the smartphone market in Q3, with Gartner estimating that Samsung sold 80.36M smartphones vs 55M a year earlier and Apple 30.33M vs 24.62M.
- The Korean company's market share held steady at 32.1% while Apple's dropped to 12.1% from 14.3%.
- Overall, the number of smartphones sold increased to 250.2M from 171.65M.
- By operating system, Google's (GOOG) Android accounted for 205M devices, or 81.9% of the market, Apple's iOS 30.33M, or 12.1%, and Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows 8.9M, or 3.6%.
- The total number of cellular phones sold rose to 455.6M from 431M. Samsung was in first place with 117M units and Nokia (NOK) second with 63M. (PR)
Samsung extends smartphone crown
Nov 15 2013, 02:58 ET