- In what is the largest product launch by dollar value in commercial jetliner history, Boeing (BA) has officially unveiled the next-generation 777X at the Dubai Air Show.
- Boeing has received bookings and commitments worth $95B at list prices for 259 jets from four customers in Europe and the Middle East.
- Emirates has ordered 150 airplanes with an option for 50 more, Lufthansa wants 34 aircraft, Qatar Airways 50, and, as noted already, Etihad Airways 25.
- The deals also represent a windfall for GE (GE), which is supplying the engines for the plane.
- The 777X family includes two models: the 777-9X and the 777-8X.
- The 9X will seat over 400 passengers and have a range of more than 8,200 nautical miles (15,185 km). The aircraft will have the "lowest operating cost per seat of any commercial airplane," Boeing says.
- The 8X will seat 350 passengers and offer a range exceeding 9,300 nautical miles (17,220 km). (PR)
- Meanwhile, Boeing has obtained an order for up to 111 737 jets from flydubai in a deal worth $11.4B at list prices. (PR)