3D printing, solar stocks reverse course

After steadily rising over the last three weeks, 3D printing stocks are reversing course in dramatic fashion today in the absence of major news. Solar stocks, which have also seen plenty of good days lately, are also selling off hard.

3D printer makers 3D Systems (DDD -6.1%), Stratasys (SSYS -7.5%), ExOne (XONE -7.7%), and Voxeljet (VJET -14.1%) are all off sharply, as is custom parts maker Proto Labs ([[PRLB -4.8% - sometimes hyped as a 3D printing play).

Trina (TSL -4.9%), which provided a big Q3 beat and guidance hike this morning, has turned negative after shooting higher in premarket trading. Other solar decliners: YGE -10.9%. FSLR -4.6%. SOL -6.4%. JASO -6.4%. CSUN -5.6%. JKS 5.7%. DQ -5.5%. SUNE -5.5%. CSIQ -5.3%. SPWR -7.1%.

From other sites
Comments (32)
  • Joe Dirnfeld
    Comments (1124) | Send Message

I am buying spwr on weakness , thanks .
    19 Nov 2013, 02:46 PM Reply Like
  • Ken33
    Comment (1) | Send Message

So am I !!!
    19 Nov 2013, 03:40 PM Reply Like
  • Market DJ
    Comments (1101) | Send Message

I owned SPWR since July. Lots of short interest on the stock. I still think they are best in class. I was underwater for over a month & now I wish I would've bought more at that time.
    19 Nov 2013, 02:52 PM Reply Like
  • Izzy1
    Comments (194) | Send Message

Nothing has changed. No bad news from any of the major players or from the their markets. These stocks will be back because additive print is the future. I think it will take less time then most think.
    19 Nov 2013, 02:54 PM Reply Like
  • Esekla
    Comments (4462) | Send Message

I actually think it will take more time than many here seem to think. Fortunately, though, the market is forward-looking. The trick is to pick the winners from the also-rans. My article gives points to look for and maybe more importantly, types of news that are best ignored:

19 Nov 2013, 03:10 PM Reply Like
  • gethigh
    Comments (42) | Send Message

You guys forgot $SCTY
    19 Nov 2013, 02:55 PM Reply Like
  • Market DJ
    Comments (1101) | Send Message

Buying opportunities for the 3-D sector this week for sure. I've noticed with most Solar stocks you have plenty of big down days to get in....
    19 Nov 2013, 02:57 PM Reply Like
  • Mattster
    Comments (165) | Send Message

Yeah Trina that real money profit you made is just a "mirage" according to some old man in NY
    19 Nov 2013, 02:58 PM Reply Like
  • Tricky
    Comments (2430) | Send Message

Sometimes, it seems like the best way to play solar stocks is to buy straddles -- I have the impression that they are some volatile stocks?
    19 Nov 2013, 03:01 PM Reply Like
  • chris293
    Comments (268) | Send Message

it's the season for fear, rumors, and sell-offs in the market place for making greed come true for anyone smart enough to take some profits off the table along with a plateful of Holiday Turkey.
    19 Nov 2013, 03:37 PM Reply Like
  • mackcap
    Comments (16) | Send Message

3D stocks move so fast by the time reports say going down, they will reverse.
    19 Nov 2013, 03:40 PM Reply Like
  • moreofthesame
    Comments (739) | Send Message

The solar industry is being "reborn" as we speak, profits are starting to appear once again but it is extremely fragile at this point. Serious investors know that the solar industry is looking forward to a strong 2014. The planet needs more energy and solar has become a viable source.
    19 Nov 2013, 03:52 PM Reply Like
  • Market DJ
    Comments (1101) | Send Message

Agreed. Solar is the future, and in 2014 we will see serious expansion of big solar projects....
    19 Nov 2013, 03:56 PM Reply Like
  • Gary Jakacky
    Comments (2946) | Send Message

In the absence of major news? I guess they are too modest to suggest SA's ONVO article was a catalyst. :)
    19 Nov 2013, 04:12 PM Reply Like
  • Market DJ
    Comments (1101) | Send Message

I wouldn't consider ONVO a 3-D sector play.
    19 Nov 2013, 04:14 PM Reply Like
  • BA Capital
    Comments (28) | Send Message

I disagree. Look at how it tracks with the other 3Ds
    19 Nov 2013, 06:03 PM Reply Like
  • Market DJ
    Comments (1101) | Send Message

But they don't actually make anything; product or money
    19 Nov 2013, 06:05 PM Reply Like
  • scooby123
    Comments (181) | Send Message

I think the 3D sector is done selling off for now. Glad I locked in 3 days ago. Buying back in tomorrow. The SA article on OVNO killed that stock today. Shame it was a great one to play the ups and downs with. Hopefully it's done selling off. SSYS is the best buy right now, it's going to have a great 4Q. I think 3D will stay level for the next few weeks at or near 78 till the shorts back off a bit.
    19 Nov 2013, 05:12 PM Reply Like
  • David Pinsen
    Comments (2118) | Send Message

Good luck with your picks. I posted a couple of hedges for SSYS earlier this month ( http://seekingalpha.co... ). Will post an update of the second hedge soon.
    19 Nov 2013, 07:48 PM Reply Like
  • Seth Walters
    Comments (675) | Send Message

VJET is still up well more than double where it was on its IPO day, where it also doubled from its offering price.... so its more than quadrupled in value for people that got it in its IPO. This looks like not much more than the high flyers of the market getting dinged a little on fear. If the market is going down in flames, then people in these names have plenty to worry about, if not I think they will be fine for a while yet.
    19 Nov 2013, 05:17 PM Reply Like
  • Dragonmike
    Comments (75) | Send Message

Look at SGLB for an opportunity to get in early in a 3D printing company...
    19 Nov 2013, 06:17 PM Reply Like
  • drclintnfla
    Comments (12) | Send Message

I'm paying more attention to balance sheet @ end of day....sticking w 3D for long haul
    19 Nov 2013, 06:29 PM Reply Like
  • jlbrown
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Missed the SA article on Onvo - could anyone sum it up for me?
    19 Nov 2013, 06:32 PM Reply Like
  • Market DJ
    Comments (1101) | Send Message

Written by Richard Pearson.
    19 Nov 2013, 06:34 PM Reply Like
  • jlbrown
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Missed the SA article on ONVO - can anyone fill me in on salient comments?
    19 Nov 2013, 06:34 PM Reply Like
  • squashjohn
    Comments (33) | Send Message

Wouldn't consider ONVO a 3D sector Play??.. 3D Bioprinting very much belongs to the 3D Print sector & let's See where they are in 5 years :-)
    19 Nov 2013, 07:02 PM Reply Like
  • squashjohn
    Comments (33) | Send Message

19 Nov 2013, 07:02 PM Reply Like
  • Market DJ
    Comments (1101) | Send Message

If you notice ONVO isn't even listed in the article above. It looks as if I am not the only one who thinks ONVO doesn't qualify as a 3-D printing (additive manufacturing) company.
    19 Nov 2013, 07:25 PM Reply Like
  • scooby123
    Comments (181) | Send Message

Thanks Pinsen, look forward to it. I read the article, but I can't do that in my 401 stock. Any other suggestions?
    19 Nov 2013, 08:20 PM Reply Like
  • ughs
    Comment (1) | Send Message

I am buying solar stocks on weaknesses..pretty enticing !
    20 Nov 2013, 08:56 AM Reply Like
  • PeteCal
    Comments (90) | Send Message

I did hear one (stupid) negative. Congress is planning to extend the ban on "printing" guns without including metal.

I say stupid because I doubt any printers are sold only to print guns.

You won't get me to put a bullet in a plastic gun and pull the trigger.
    20 Nov 2013, 09:00 AM Reply Like
  • jlbrown
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Of course ONVO is a player in the 3D sector!
    24 Nov 2013, 07:22 PM Reply Like