Sysco lands US Foods in large foodservice merger

Sysco (SYY) buys U.S. Foods in a deal that has a total enterprise value of close to $8.2B inclusive of the assumption of debt.

After the merger closes, US Foods shareholders will hold approximately 87M shares of Sysco.

The new combined company expects to realize annual synergies of $600M.

The deal is slated to close in Q3 of 2014.

SYY +10.2% premarket.

From other sites
Comments (9)
  • Tbird1
    , contributor
    Comments (17) | Send Message

Big news because US Foods is such a loser.
    9 Dec 2013, 09:03 AM Reply Like
  • TAS
    , contributor
    Comments (3695) | Send Message

Do I sense a monopoly on bad restaurant food?
    9 Dec 2013, 09:12 AM Reply Like
  • fuzzymc
    , contributor
    Comments (198) | Send Message

Dealt with us foods at a pa fair screwed up every order I gave them!!
    9 Dec 2013, 09:31 AM Reply Like
  • Van Hyder
    , contributor
    Comments (172) | Send Message

I've never understood investing in Sysco, they run each of their OpCos like a separate company that take directives from Corporate as though they were suggestions. But good luck to any of you folks that want to play in this space.
    9 Dec 2013, 01:56 PM Reply Like
  • Maerzie
    , contributor
    Comments (32) | Send Message

SYY HAD BEEN a good company! I hope this doesn't bring it down. I don't see any advantage to SYY shareholders, since US Foods isn't as high a quality of service; it seems more of a penalty!
    9 Dec 2013, 02:51 PM Reply Like
  • Maerzie
    , contributor
    Comments (32) | Send Message

I don't see the advantage to SYY, if US Foods is an inferior company??
    9 Dec 2013, 02:51 PM Reply Like
  • timothy ohearn
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Have done business with Sysco when they were Albany frosted foods and always gave excellent service and fair pricing.
    9 Dec 2013, 02:52 PM Reply Like
  • syscogold
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

People had the same negative comments when Sysco bought Continental Food Services almost 25 years ago. That turned out to be a spectacular deal. I expect Sysco to do just as well with the US Foods acquisition.
    9 Dec 2013, 05:03 PM Reply Like
  • Maerzie
    , contributor
    Comments (32) | Send Message

I hope you're right. I'll be keeping an eye on it!
    11 Dec 2013, 01:28 AM Reply Like