- Interest in using high-end AMD (AMD +2.3%) GPUs to mine Litecoins (a rival cryptocurrency to Bitcoins) has triggered shortages for graphics cards running R9 280X and R9 290/290X GPUs.
- 15 of the 17 R9 280X graphics cards offered by Newegg are out of stock, as are 14 out of 16 R9 290/290X GPUs.
- With Litecoin trading at a fraction of Bitcoin's price, the former is much easier to mine than the latter. However, Litecoin mining does require considerable amounts of memory and GPU horsepower.
- AMD GPUs are viewed as far more efficient at mining Litecoins than Nvidia (NVDA +1.9%) GPUs, but both can be applied to the task.
- AMD launched its R9 and R7 GPUs earlier this fall, and priced them aggressively relative to Nvidia's high-end GTX 780/770 and Titan GPUs; Nvidia announced price cuts in response.
- Notable Calls reports hearing from IT hardware contacts the R9/R7 launches have led AMD to take GPU share from Nvidia.