3D systems buys filament maker Village Plastics

3D Systems (DDD +0.7%) is acquiring Village Plastics, a maker of filaments for a variety of 3D printing materials. Terms are undisclosed. (PR)

3D says it will immediately integrate Village's materials and manufacturing tech to "accelerate its development of advanced filament-based materials" for its consumer/enthusiast-focused Cube and CubeX printers. Village Plastics could help the Cube line better compete against MakerBot's Replicator printer line.

3D has been buying companies early and often in recent years. Other 2013 acquisitions: The Sugar Lab, Phenix Systems, CRDM, Geomagic.

From other sites
Comments (6)
  • Esekla
    , contributor
    Comments (4749) | Send Message

Growth through acquisition can work, but its a dangerous for investors in the company doing the acquiring as it makes it quite easy for them to "cook the books" by valuing the acquisition virtually any way they want. I haven't looked at how much Goodwill DDD is racking up, because I don't really see much of a future in mass marketing machines to "prosumers". Rather, I espouse the viewpoint that additive manufacturing will gradually change the technology and industrial sectors. Thus I prefer the organic growth of companies like ExOne

It may take longer to play out, but this where I see new technology really changing how our societies work.
    13 Dec 2013, 01:17 PM Reply Like
  • StepUp
    , contributor
    Comments (559) | Send Message

Hi Esekla,

I agree with you on the acquisition risks. In 2000 I worked for a tech company that acquired 78 (yes, seventy-eight) companies in four years. They relaunched the company under a new brand in March of 2001 and in April 2001 they discovered they were broke. Two months later the company no longer existed and 10,000 people had been laid-off. I am also now well aware there was corruption at the top but that is another story.

That said DDD seems to be doing a good job integrating the new companies and I have faith in the management team.

Long DDD and interested in XONE as well.
    16 Dec 2013, 03:39 PM Reply Like
  • eager1
    , contributor
    Comments (179) | Send Message

I assume you would like HPQ who is entering the field in 2014 and doing it internally?
    13 Dec 2013, 01:36 PM Reply Like
  • Esekla
    , contributor
    Comments (4749) | Send Message

Whitman described their strategy as an acorn that would take years to develop. I don't put much faith in anything coming out of HP these days. If they do get into the market, though, it seems that their distribution network would make them best suited to be a competitor in the consumer market, where 3D Systems plays. That's not industrial tech, and thus not of much interest to me.
    13 Dec 2013, 02:35 PM Reply Like
  • Market Manipulation
    , contributor
    Comments (115) | Send Message

"Resistance is futile, you shall be assimilated..."
    Just a little humour. Good going DDD!
    13 Dec 2013, 09:54 PM Reply Like
  • Grethe
    , contributor
    Comments (38) | Send Message

Sure, this acquisition path can be quite bumpy, but DDD seems to be pretty good at avoiding the big bumps, and that's a competence in it's own right. (Sure hope this point of view turns out to be correct as far as DDD is concerned!)
    The "negative" effect is of course, that a lot of goodwill is being stacked, but considering that this goodwill is composed of many individual "goodwills", I don't see it as being as frightening as if it was tied to one big event.
    16 Dec 2013, 04:31 AM Reply Like