- The NPD Group is out with the SVOD Report which looks at streaming activity between January and October of this year.
- The top movies streamed were The Hunger Games (LGF), The Avengers (DIS) and The Lorax (CMCSA) which are all movies aimed at younger audiences. The rankings go a long way toward explaining the tent-pole strategy of major studios.
- Data on TV streaming showed the most activity was for Breaking Bad (AMCX), How I Met Your Mother (CBS), and AMC's The Walking Dead.
- Netflix (NFLX) doesn't like to share ratings information, but NPD has the back of investors. Its data shows 11% of all Netflix users streamed Arrested Development at least once during the six weeks following its release. The mark was lower for House of Cards (5%) and Hemlock Grove (4%), although the penetration rates compare favorably to the broadcast world.
- SVOD share of the total home video market rose to over 25% during the year.
2013 streaming winners and trends
Dec 17 2013, 15:38 ET