- "The Committee sees the improvement in economic activity and labor market conditions ... as consistent with growing underlying strength in the broader economy," the FOMC says, adding that the decision to scale back QE by $10B per month is based on "the cumulative progress toward maximum employment and the improvement in the outlook for labor market conditions."
- Although the Committee says it will "likely reduce the pace of asset purchases in further measured steps [should] incoming information support [the] ongoing improvement in labor market conditions and inflation moving back toward [the] longer-run objective," the Fed notes that asset purchases are "not on a set course."
- FOMC also says it "anticipates .. that it likely will be appropriate to maintain the current target range for the federal funds rate well past the time that the unemployment rate declines below 6.5%."
- Updated FOMC projections: 2014 PCE inflation now seen at 1.4-1.6% (from 1.3-1.8% in September); 2014 GDP now seen at 2.8-3.2% (from 2.9-3.1% in September); 2014 unemployment rate now seen at 6.3-6.6% (from 6.4-6.8% in September). Full release
- 10-year yield is at 2.91% versus 2.87% just prior to the announcement.
- Dow (DIA +0.9%), S&P (SPY +0.6%), and Nasdaq (QQQ) all staged brief rallies on the news but have since retraced a bit. Gold (GLD +0.3%) fell sharply initially but recovered.
- ETFs: TBT, TLT, TIP, TMV, SHY, IEF, TBF, PST, EDV, TTT, TMF, VTIP, TLH, IPE, ZROZ, SBND, IEI, SCHP, DLBS, TYO, LTPZ, DTYS, STPZ, STPP, VGLT, TIPZ, UST, BIL, SHV, STIP, PLW, GOVT, FLAT, UBT, TBX, TLO, VGSH, VGIT, RINF, GSY, DTYL, LBND, SCHR, SCHO, TYD, ITE, TYBS, TPS, TRSY, TENZ, DTUL, TDTT, TUZ, SST, INFL, DTUS, FIVZ, TBZ, DFVL, FINF, UINF, DLBL, DEFL, DFVS, TIPX, TDTF, TYNS, SINF
From other sites
at Nasdaq.com (Feb 6, 2015)
at MarketWatch.com (Jan 15, 2015)
at Nasdaq.com (Jan 14, 2015)
at Nasdaq.com (Jan 13, 2015)
at Nasdaq.com (Jan 5, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs