New Yorkers passing on soda for water

• Grocery store sales data from the New York City area indicates consumers are buying more milk and water instead of soda and juices.
  • Sales of soda dropped 6.8% this year while the tail-off in juice was 6.1%. Even sports drinks took a hit, with the category showing a sales drop of 5%.
  • Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been one of the biggest advocates of limits on sugary drinks, but so far not many other cities have taken up the anti-soda fight with vigor.
  • Related stocks: PEP, KO, DPS, MNST.
From other sites
Comments (14)
  • hneumann
    Comments (632) | Send Message

Related stocks: SODA. People making more soda at home
    26 Dec 2013, 01:52 PM Reply Like
  • tampabay
    Comments (332) | Send Message

New Yorkers....after paying all their taxes can't afford Soda or juice..they are going for FREE water
    26 Dec 2013, 02:12 PM Reply Like
  • hneumann
    Comments (632) | Send Message

Bbb ...bbbut the economy is improving...
    26 Dec 2013, 02:27 PM Reply Like
  • ARG1
    Comments (1299) | Send Message

I like their products. I am a big fan of Sun Kist diet soda. At my local store they always sell out. I am long.
    26 Dec 2013, 02:42 PM Reply Like
  • magi48
    Comments (184) | Send Message

Pepsi and Coke are not going to fall off the planet. They just have to change their business plan.
    People will still drink and occasional soda. But the days of soda replacing water are over and for good reasons.
    26 Dec 2013, 02:52 PM Reply Like
  • financeminister
    Comments (1028) | Send Message

So per Bloomberg's logic, we should see a decrease in obesity rates....
    26 Dec 2013, 02:58 PM Reply Like
  • sower
    Comments (16) | Send Message

Every time I hear these control freaks, like Mr. Bloomberg, I order another Pepsi and drink to their health! ;) Seriously, I don't drink 'pop' very often and some folks probably do over do what might be healthy for them - guess what? It's still a free country and God willing it will continue to be.
    This really is good news as I was getting ready to invest in KO and PEP - great companies.
    26 Dec 2013, 04:19 PM Reply Like
  • BlueOkie
    Comments (7461) | Send Message

People in NYC are dumb and stupid. The need Bloomberg's wisdom to live the proper life.
    26 Dec 2013, 05:38 PM Reply Like
  • Bettafish
    Comments (2) | Send Message

Pepsi is far more diversified than KO in other products. Knowing that and seeing the solid business models in place for both companies I am long in PEP. Soda still hasn't reached its limits globally so to all those proposing gloom and doom to carbonation things are a bit premature. Sodastream is seemingly fizzling out after you buy the Co2 refills its no big bargain.
    26 Dec 2013, 08:03 PM Reply Like
  • siempre1
    Comments (32) | Send Message

KO sells water also. I'm guessing it is cheaper for them to make also...lol. Seriously though, I own KO stock and see no reason not to hold onto it.
    26 Dec 2013, 08:07 PM Reply Like
  • Michael Bryant
    Comments (5831) | Send Message

Well, I hope people now realize that by stop drinking soda, you can lose 10 pounds. If you want to lose weight, don't drink soda. Water is best. No calories.
    26 Dec 2013, 08:42 PM Reply Like
  • BlueOkie
    Comments (7461) | Send Message

Soda isn't the cause of weight gain! It is total calories consumed being greater than those burned. It is so simple! People who are overweight have a mental problem or a physical problem or simply need a lifestyle change. Too often people eat/drink to satisfy a need that isn't caused by lack of food. For example - I'm depressed. Food makes me feel better. Therefore I eat. I get fatter and I'm depressed - I eat some more.
    29 Dec 2013, 09:24 AM Reply Like
  • woodworker
    Comments (84) | Send Message

I don't care which drink they buy at the local convenience store. Whatever it is (bottled water included) there is a high probability that it is either a Coke or Pepsi product. That is why I own stock in both companies
    27 Dec 2013, 01:02 PM Reply Like
  • BlueOkie
    Comments (7461) | Send Message

That's a smart play. Diversify with the two firms that have nearly all of the market.
    29 Dec 2013, 09:25 AM Reply Like