- Over 1.1M people had signed up for health insurance under Obamacare via the government's HealthCare.gov Web site by the Christmas Eve deadline after 975,000 bought coverage this month.
- Combined with those who acquired plans in Washington DC and 14 states that operate their own exchanges, around 2M people have obtained insurance. The government had hoped that 3.3M people would have signed up by now.
- The next major test will come on Wednesday onwards, when the coverage is due to start. There are widespread concerns that patients will turn up for appointments and treatments only to find that their insurance application didn't go through properly, or that their new plans don't cover them for the care they want or need. As a result patients have been rushing to carry out tests, procedures and elective visits before the end of the year.
- More Obamacare.
- Relevant company tickers: AET, HNT, HUM, UNH, WLP, MOH.
- ETFS: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS.
Obamacare sign-ups pass 1M
Dec 30 2013, 04:12 ET