- As of yesterday, only around half of those who had signed up for healthcare coverage offered by over 100 insurers in 17 states under Obamacare had paid for their plans.
- As a result, confusion is set to reign when the coverage takes effect tomorrow and until insurers can process those payments and issue membership cards. Around 2M people have signed up for coverage.
- Insurers are attempting to alleviate the situation for customers by saying they'll accept payment as late as January 31 for coverage that starts tomorrow.
- Meanwhile, Pharmacy chains such as CVS Caremark (CVS) and Walgreen (WAG) will provide prescription medications to consumers who have started but not completed the sign-up process.
- More on Obamacare.
- Relevant company tickers: AET, HNT, HUM, UNH, WLP, MOH. ETFS: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS.
Huge numbers of Obamacare enrollments incomplete
Dec 31 2013, 04:09 ET