Apple claims no knowledge of alleged NSA spying program

• Apple (AAPL) yesterday said it has never worked with the National Security Agency to allow the latter to insert a spyware program called "DROPOUTJEEP" into iPhones.
  • "We have been unaware of this alleged NSA program targeting our products," Apple said.
  • The company was responding to allegations from researcher Jacob Appelbaum that the NSA used the software to collect information from text messages, contact lists, voicemails and location data. DROPOUTJEEP could also activate the device's microphones and camera. Appelbaum cited leaked documents from 2008 to support his claims.
  • Appelbaum's assertions came after Der Spiegel reported that the NSA had targeted products from U.S. tech companies such as Cisco (CSCO) and Dell.
Comments (26)
  • Dennis Baker
    Comments (1092) | Send Message

If the NSA gets physical access to your hardware—regardless of it's manufacture—you are probably compromised.

If you value the information on your phone/ tablet/ notebook/ desktop/ whatever don't let the nasty people with massive resources handle it.
    1 Jan, 03:38 AM Reply Like
  • User 6830851
    Comments (112) | Send Message

They do it when I get a message saying, "Update your software now," etc. It's in the download. Just like the criminals with their malware. No?
    1 Jan, 09:42 AM Reply Like
  • positivethoughts
    Comments (1812) | Send Message

NSA = Criminals
    2 Jan, 11:36 AM Reply Like
  • june1234
    Comments (2502) | Send Message

If they want access to all your data all they need to is ask FB or Google for it with all the data they have. I figure if they were able to access German PMs phone they can access yours if they want to.
    1 Jan, 04:12 AM Reply Like
  • synchrogeddon
    Comments (184) | Send Message

I don't care. I don't even have smartphone and no camera in my dumbphone :P
    1 Jan, 04:22 AM Reply Like
  • divinecomedy
    Comments (466) | Send Message

Totally agree. My phone is the about 9 years old now and still kicking.
    1 Jan, 07:14 PM Reply Like
  • gensearch2
    Comments (1390) | Send Message

An entity whose sole function is spying and counter spying and is damn good at it. Shocking. Who would have guessed.
    1 Jan, 07:34 AM Reply Like
  • u01bsb0
    Comments (617) | Send Message

meanwhile in America, citizens seem more concerned about when the Government tries to ban guns...
    1 Jan, 07:36 AM Reply Like
  • dcraik
    Comments (10) | Send Message

Concern about banning guns is relevant to the same issue. It's always the same story. "There's crisis!" We have to do this to protect you, it's for the greater good!"Anytime the government tries to diminish or eliminate the rights of the citizen you should be very concerned, get active and PUSH BACK.
    1 Jan, 09:02 AM Reply Like
  • User 6830851
    Comments (112) | Send Message

"There's a crisis!" reminds me of Naomi Klein's _The Shock Doctrine_, if anybody's interested in a good book.
    1 Jan, 09:43 AM Reply Like
  • quabbin
    Comments (122) | Send Message

6830851....An excellent read.
    Unfortunate that many on this site would view it as conspiracy writing.
    1 Jan, 10:02 AM Reply Like
  • bowater
    Comments (184) | Send Message

fight back
    1 Jan, 11:04 AM Reply Like
  • u01bsb0
    Comments (617) | Send Message

dcraik-

really? guns are to protect you? when this is almost a universal principle across america it means guns are so readily available. I think I'm safer knowing when i walk down the street nobody has guns on them.

Your 2nd Amendment's purpose was for events over 200 years ago.

I know my views probably won't be favoured by a lot of people (mainly american gun holders) but seriously, what do you think your government is really going to do that you will need guns?
    You must have some serious problems in your country that you don't trust your own democratically elected government. Why would you live in a country if you fear your own government turning against you?
    3 Jan, 05:55 PM Reply Like
  • positivethoughts
    Comments (1812) | Send Message

'Why would you live in a country if you fear your own government turning against you?'

I didnt know North Koreans could leave anytime they wish.
    3 Jan, 06:34 PM Reply Like
  • u01bsb0
    Comments (617) | Send Message

funny that you'd put America on the same level as North Korea.
    4 Jan, 09:34 AM Reply Like
  • User 6830851
    Comments (112) | Send Message

You and others in this thread have raised a lot of good questions — more, perhaps, than you had intended. I don't think a couple of "Reply"s or "Like"s here are going to provide all the answers. Maybe the gun thing is relevant. Maybe we do live in a surveillance culture. Maybe our government isn't democratically elected. Maybe "democracy has been hacked," as a former vice president has noted. Maybe capitalism isn't any longer compatible with democracy. Maybe since 1963, 1972, 1987, nobody trusts the government.

I haven't got the answers, but I admire that people here care enough to ask the questions.
    4 Jan, 10:48 AM Reply Like
  • dcraik
    Comments (10) | Send Message

Hello again Mr. u01bsb0 of Aberdeen Scotland
    I'm of Scot linage myself and hope get to visit the motherland soon.
    I don't personally own any guns. But, I am intensely interested in the principles of human freedom.
    Even after 200 years ... the world is still full of evil people who care nothing for others and prey on the innocent regardless of law, the fundamental question is do you believe that it's a basic human right to be able protect and defend oneself, family, property and the possibly the innocent?
    So, Yes or no?
    Of course, we could go on and on about this. Actually I enjoy the debate. I always learn from listening to other's opinions. However, an investing forum probably isn't appropriate place for this and we don't want to be rude and take up their space. I'd be happy to trade e-mails with you and discuss the rest of your questions (all in good will and agreeing to disagree of course).
    4 Jan, 01:09 PM Reply Like
  • SpinyNorman
    Comments (224) | Send Message

I don't get why this is being reported as a backdoor, or why Apple is under suspicion of having helped the NSA with it. It's basically a virus - an application that does it's best to hide itself from the user. There's no reason to doubt that the NSA is as good as writing malware as anyone else out there. They don't need any help from Apple (or Google - presumably there's an Android version too, unless the NSA presumes all terrorists prefer iPhones).
    1 Jan, 09:51 AM Reply Like
  • positivethoughts
    Comments (1812) | Send Message

Are we to believe that the same government that has the technical skill to hack Apple's systems isnt capable of building a healthcare website to sign up their citizens for healthcare coverage?

I guess it's like 9-11. The U.S. government is capable of tracking ICBMs from Russia, but cant track 4 commercial planes flying at 600 mph through the east coast because the 'terrorists' turned off their transponders. I hope Russia doesnt find out that they can avoid American detection by turning off their own electronic tracking.
    3 Jan, 07:06 PM Reply Like
  • positivethoughts
    Comments (1812) | Send Message

The NSA pays Google, Apple and others billions of dollars a year to get access to their programs.
    1 Jan, 01:20 PM Reply Like
  • Johann Galt
    Comments (235) | Send Message

Ummm.... billions?
    1 Jan, 09:57 PM Reply Like
  • positivethoughts
    Comments (1812) | Send Message

Yes. Billions. Controlling the money supply has its privelages. They dont report everything to Congress, remember.
    2 Jan, 11:36 AM Reply Like
  • Cliff Hilton
    Comments (1429) | Send Message

OK, so you are mad about it, try doing something about it. Support business that is not compromised. And try a letter writing campaign! Government and politics could affect your investments. I've been ferocious about this as well. I'm avoiding companies that supports spying. We have constitutional rights (Right to Privacy) being ignored. Major companies should be flying the American Flag over the campuses not the US Dollar.

OK, I'm off my soapbox. Happy New Year?
    1 Jan, 03:27 PM Reply Like
  • Derek A. Barrett
    Comments (3534) | Send Message

Meanwhile, for-profit data miners are selling your information for money. What the NSA does is a cakewalk in comparison:

"Data miners selling lists of rape victims, AIDS patients, police home addresses"

1 Jan, 04:46 PM Reply Like
  • tehfleet
    Comments (10) | Send Message

Not surprising. If they want your data, they will get it.
    2 Jan, 05:36 AM Reply Like
  • siempre1
    Comments (16) | Send Message

Denying it just means their phones have huge security holes in them that any hacker could have taken advantage of. I guess that is better than if they cooperated with the NSA. I just don't see it as being a ton better.
    4 Jan, 08:22 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: