- More than 2.1M people have signed up for Obamacare-mandated health insurance, which has gone into effect today. That's an addition of 1.6M consumers in December, but somewhat below the 3.3M that was initially projected.
- Administration officials also don't know how many people have paid, while insurers haven't received all the information they need about those who have bought plans. As a result, much confusion is expected when patients turn up for appointments, a situation the government is hoping to help alleviate with a toll-free call center.
- Around 3.9M people are judged eligible for Medicaid and a related children's insurance program, although it's not known how many have signed up. Another 3M young Americans have coverage under their parents' plans.
- More on Obamacare.
- Health insurers: AET, HNT, HUM, UNH, WLP, MOH.
- Hospital operators: HCA, CYH, THC, UHS, HMA, LPNT.
- ETFS: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS.
Over 2.1M signed up as Obamacare plans take effect
Jan 1 2014, 04:22 ET