High times are here for Colorado marijuana sellers, risk-tolerant investors

• Investors apparently have taken the big crowds outside marijuana retailers in Colorado as a harbinger of potential growth in the still-new industry after the state launched the first legal U.S. sale of recreational pot.
  • Most of the companies that could benefit are very small, with MediSwipe (MWIP), which sells transaction processing systems to the medical industry, perhaps the most established; others include GreenGro Tech (GRNH), which sells growing systems and equipment popular with pot farmers; Medbox (MDBX), which makes storage and dispensing machines for controlled medicines; and GW Pharmaceuticals (GWPH), which focuses on medicines derived from marijuana.
Comments (34)
  • Alan Brochstein, CFA
    Comments (7498) | Send Message

Sadly, the companies mentioned here likely don't benefit much, if at all. MDBX has zero installations in CO per comments from its COO/Chairman made on http://bit.ly/1ecufKG earlier this week.

PHOT is a play in CO, and so is CANN
    3 Jan, 04:52 PM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

I thought you were in on MDBX??(OTCQB:AERO) has name recognition behind them.I beleive CANN is more of an office space ,warehouse ,in colorado some where,has property investments.That is what I came up with on the little research that I did.
    3 Jan, 05:49 PM Reply Like
  • Alan Brochstein, CFA
    Comments (7498) | Send Message

Just saying MDBX has no CO exposure. I am not a fan of the stock price. CANN announced a deal for a grow facility today, but the biz model is to provide growers with products and services. Good management team - check out my interview with the CEO
    3 Jan, 06:00 PM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

True,MDBX is a great idea,but think its to soon for marijuana vending machines.I like the business model,especially smack dab in Colorado!!,just gonna take time to get there,in meantime a good investment would be (OTCQB:TRTC).,start from the ground up,literlly.,also (OTCQB:AERO).,a company like (OTCQB:CANN) will need these services.2014*
    3 Jan, 06:43 PM Reply Like
  • ageofconan
    Comments (87) | Send Message

Thanks Alan for all your hard work on 420investors. I'm not trying to plug here but read the article and of course you beat me to it. I've made a small fortune over the past few months with your guidance. You are the man.
    3 Jan, 06:56 PM Reply Like
  • Alan Brochstein, CFA
    Comments (7498) | Send Message

Thanks! Glad to have you aboard.
    3 Jan, 07:01 PM Reply Like
  • willieblack
    Comment (1) | Send Message

I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE INVESTMENT ASPECT. IM NEW TO THIS AND TRYING TO READ UP ON THE BEST AVENUE TO TAKE. ANY INSIGHT/ASSISTANCE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    20 Apr, 07:17 AM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Yes Alan,I admit you keep us on our toes,keep up the good work!
    3 Jan, 07:05 PM Reply Like
  • Alan Brochstein, CFA
    Comments (7498) | Send Message

Thanks, Asplinator1.
    3 Jan, 07:09 PM Reply Like
  • dlehnecke@nvusd.k12.ca.us
    Comments (13) | Send Message

Yes, thanks for your analysis Alan. I think I have made the right decisions in correcting my portfolio by selling my MJNA and buying TRTC and PHOT. Although it would seem Mediswipe might be a good bet because currently banks are not allowed to have transactions with dispensaries, and Mediswipe niche is providing dispensaries with secure monetary transactions. Any thoughts?
    4 Jan, 01:30 AM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Seems I did the same route sold MJNA,sold way to early,traded for TRTC &AERO,same type companies as you.The 420 companies need away to move there cashflow if Mediswipe is the way I will most certainly check more into it.Maybe "Bit-coin" can get into this?2014*
    4 Jan, 07:58 AM Reply Like
  • ModerateMan
    Comments (56) | Send Message

Bitcoin: Because what the Medical Marijuana sector REALLY needs is a hyper active, volatile currency...

Thanks but no thanks. I would sell the hell out of any company getting involved with it.
    4 Jan, 07:39 PM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

I think there are more companies out there that does the same as Mediswipe,"niches"??,so Im thinkin short!What is the diferance between PHOT & AERO??Getting alot of traders interested in TRTC.It seems all three are in the same bussines.
    4 Jan, 08:09 PM Reply Like
  • dlehnecke@nvusd.k12.ca.us
    Comments (13) | Send Message

Yes Asplinator, Bitcoin is a possibility. I went to the Mcig website and they are accepting bitcoins.
    5 Jan, 03:22 AM Reply Like
  • belgium
    Comments (999) | Send Message

"It seems all three are in the same bussines. "

Maybe on the surface, but you need to dig just a little deeper.
    5 Jan, 08:26 AM Reply Like
  • ModerateMan
    Comments (56) | Send Message

PHOT and TRTC are vastly different.

AERO is overpriced for what it is and what the reports tell us, IMO.

Seriously, if you believe half of what you're saying, do be careful choosing your shorts. Just saying.
    5 Jan, 08:48 AM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Very smart!!!The reason of "Bitcoin" its not traceable.Maybe not "Bitcoin"!Many small companies related to the 420 sector are accepting it,MCIG & "The Drug Dealer"lol,just kiddin.What makes Mediswipe any safer than Bitcoin,thats whats so great, NICHES!!!,there will be many diferent ways to cash in!2014!!
    5 Jan, 10:07 AM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Only time will tell!!"ModerateMan"!!!... like the aggresivness, huh!!!!
    5 Jan, 04:35 PM Reply Like
  • ModerateMan
    Comments (56) | Send Message

Not traceable... that'll look lovely when these companies want to start audited reports I bet...

I reinforce my sentiment: I wouldn't be caught dead holding any of these companies accepting bitcoin for their transactions...
    5 Jan, 11:02 PM Reply Like
  • Investorita18
    Comments (2) | Send Message

Wow thanks gentlemen for the 3 more stocks to consider! Looks like next week would be ideal to get in on MDBX due to 2:1 special dividend payout. I think it's going to continue to climb... Has visibility, accountability, new thumb print tech, regulators cam regulate, etc.
    4 Jan, 01:47 AM Reply Like
  • Alan Brochstein, CFA
    Comments (7498) | Send Message

If you buy MDBX, you will be forced to hold 1/2 your shares after the split for six months or longer.
    4 Jan, 06:44 AM Reply Like
  • Ripdog
    Comment (1) | Send Message

GRNH....solid company with revs that are going to explode this year!
    4 Jan, 03:21 AM Reply Like
  • doudy1986
    Comments (2) | Send Message

Is MediSwipe a safe buy?
    4 Jan, 08:17 AM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Googled MediSwipe,looks like a ligit company,they filed with the SEC!Im thinkin I may be in,for short.This 420 stuff is awsomness!!!Think other avenues will present itself,always new ideas.
    4 Jan, 09:01 AM Reply Like
  • smalltrader63
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Yea is Mediswipe a good buy its really having a good run, can it sustain it also it owns 800commerce how does it come into play and I think it has a alliance with weedmaps also
    5 Jan, 03:22 AM Reply Like
  • doudy1986
    Comments (2) | Send Message

I am trying to learn from you guys as an individual small potential investor. I am interesting in MediSwipe, is it a good buy? what is the best marijuana stock right now?
    5 Jan, 12:39 PM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

Thats an awsomness question!! I have an order out for Mon.,I keep lowering the amount of shares as the weekend ends.I want in,Volume is at 6,000,000 from avg. of 1.2 mil.!!The other 420 stocks volume popped last week,.Thinkin there will be a sell off towards the end of trade day on Mon.,think its to high at .33.Oh yeah,it would be SHORT!!!!!VERY SHORT!!!For me the "best" stock as far as "Penny Stocks" (OTCQB:AERO),its not quit ln the "420" sector, but has inventory to grow marijuana,(OTCQB:AERO)distri... mini hydronic growing system."Scotts Miricle Grow" has invested into (OTCQB:AERO),the systems can be seen at Costco,Walmart,etc...very sound company!
    5 Jan, 04:02 PM Reply Like
  • belgium
    Comments (999) | Send Message

You really need to do more digging into the sector.
    5 Jan, 04:40 PM Reply Like
  • ricardo's will
    Comment (1) | Send Message

I am new to the comments---what are 420 stocks?
    10 Jan, 04:49 PM Reply Like
  • Alan Brochstein, CFA
    Comments (7498) | Send Message

420 = code-word for "marijuana-friendly"
    10 Jan, 04:59 PM Reply Like
  • Asplinator1
    Comments (46) | Send Message

marijuana stocks,,be careful ,do alot of reasearch on all of your trades,especialy 420.
    10 Jan, 04:59 PM Reply Like
  • jwjb
    Comments (2) | Send Message

mediswipe has been classified as the only providers of financial services for the sector and was rated by goldman of Maryland to be poised to be in position to gain market share. I personaly believe in the business model and Michael friedman and his idea.
    1 Mar, 03:08 AM Reply Like
  • Alan Brochstein, CFA
    Comments (7498) | Send Message

Goldman of Maryland! Funny... You believe in Michael Friedman - have you actually ever spoken to him? If not, what is it that makes you personally believe in him?
    1 Mar, 09:40 AM Reply Like
  • jwjb
    Comments (2) | Send Message

yes, I have spoken to him, he seems committed to objectives. I received information about a year ago that had strong implications of mediswipe being one if not the best player in this game. I guess time will tell, however; consider this. Who is providing what mediswipe is providing?
    1 Apr, 09:06 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: