- Sonic's (SONC +4.7%) earnings conference call yesterday gave an early look on how the restaurant industry will spin the impact of the widespread winter storms in December and January.
- Execs noted the harsh weather would have a noticeable impact on sales, but also pointed to the spring where it expects to make up ground (favorable lapping) due to last year's unseasonably wet and cold March-April in the U.S.
- Also of note, last year was a snow-heavy winter, so it might be the two-year comp that looks the weakest.
- The restaurant operator avoided the distinction of being the first company to call out the "polar vortex" during its commentary or Q&A.
- Conference call transcript
Sonic talks weather
Jan 7 2014, 12:22 ET