- Emerging Wall Street consensus is that the MLP sector may have seen its best days, and the MLP analyst team at Merrill Lynch cautions in a new report that volatility may lurk in the sector.
- While Merrill believes the triple threat of increasing interest rates, volatile commodity pricing and overall MLP equity supply may combine to produce a choppy year, the firm upgrades three top names to buy to add to four top picks for 2014.
- The top four: Energy Transfer Partners (ETP), whose distributable cash flow as of Sept. 30 totaled $2.3B vs. $1.3B a year earlier; MarkWest Energy (MWE), who will be able to process 3.7B cf/day in the Marcellus shale within a few years; Plains All American (PAA), a top name to buy at most Wall Street firms; and Western Refining Logistics (WNRL), which has not yet paid a distribution.
- Upgraded to Buy: GLP, MMLP, TLLP.
- ETFs: AMJ, AMLP, MLPG, MLPI, MLPN, MLPY, MLPL, MLPW, MLPS, YMLP, MLPA, EMLP, AMU, IMLP, MLPJ, ATMP, YMLI.
at CNBC.com (Nov 17, 2014)