- Asian stocks mostly rise and European bourses mainly fall, while U.S. stock futures are flat-to-lower.
- The Nikkei gains 1.9% and recovers smartly from a sharp fall over the early part of the week, although the Shanghai Composite drops 0.15%, apparently dragged down by the re-opening of the IPO markets. Elsewhere in Asia, the Hang Seng is +1.2% and India's Sensex is +0.2%.
- Any positive sentiment is coming from a fall in the U.S. trade deficit and a rise in German exports, both of which suggest good things about the global economy.
- EU Stoxx 50 -0.1%, London -0.3%, Paris -0.2%, Frankfurt -0.2%, Milan +0.1%, Madrid -0.2%.
- U.S. stock futures: Dow -0.1%. S&P -0.1%. Nasdaq -0.1%
Global equities mixed
Jan 8 2014, 05:36 ET