Santander's U.S. consumer unit files for IPO

• Santander Consumer USA (SCUSA) - the U.S. consumer lender subsidiary of Banco Santander (SAN -0.6%) - files to raise up to $1.56B in an IPO, offering 65.2M shares at an expected range of $22-$24.
  • Following the IPO, the company plans a quarterly dividend of $0.15 per share, an annualized yield of 2.6% at the midpoint of the offering range.
  • The stock symbol will be "SC."
  • S-1
Comments (20)
  • Clayton Rulli
    Comments (2465) | Send Message

anyone know if SAN shareholders get anything? Scusa shares?
    9 Jan, 02:19 PM Reply Like
  • Clayton Rulli
    Comments (2465) | Send Message

Do SAN shareholders get anything out of this? SCUSA shares?
    9 Jan, 02:59 PM Reply Like
  • AlbionWood
    Comments (766) | Send Message

Slogging through the S-1, it looks like SAN does not receive any proceeds or shares. This is an IPO of shares held by the minority owners (KKR, Warburg Pincus, etc) only. SAN shareholders won't receive anything directly from this IPO - if I read correctly.
    10 Jan, 01:39 PM Reply Like
  • Tom Shaughnessy
    Comments (1103) | Send Message

There are a lot of these by me, they are popping up all over the place
    9 Jan, 03:57 PM Reply Like
  • CJoyce316
    Comments (82) | Send Message

they bought sovereign bank in 08/09 at a steal of 2 dollars per share which was eastern coast NJ PENN etc and converted them over this year, then started advertising.
    9 Jan, 06:08 PM Reply Like
  • idkmybffjill
    Comments (1552) | Send Message

What does Santander actually do in America? I've never seen a single one lol. I guess they're not on the West Coast?...
    9 Jan, 05:35 PM Reply Like
  • marynyc
    Comment (1) | Send Message

They are not on West Coast.
    10 Jan, 04:48 PM Reply Like
  • barbarahofer
    Comments (17) | Send Message

Santander CONSUMER USA is everywhere due to the deal with Chrysler.
    Santander USA (former Sovereign) is only at the east coast.

The IPO is for Santander Consumer USA.
    12 Jan, 02:13 PM Reply Like
  • fromttt
    Comments (22) | Send Message

They are not on the West Coast or Midwest. East Coast only.
    9 Jan, 06:40 PM Reply Like
  • southgent1951
    Comments (2503) | Send Message

I am long SAN and SANPRB so I am monitoring this development involving the IPO of the U.S. consumer finance unit.

Santander bought this U.S. consumer finance business in 2006 for $636M. It was then known as Drive Financial based in Dallas and was later renamed Santander Consumer USA. In 2011, Santander sold a 25% interest to two private equity firms for $1B.

Currently, it is my understanding that SAN owns 65% of this business. At the top end of the $22 to $24 price range, the IPO will place a value on Santander Consumer USA at close to $8.5B.

Initially, about 65.2M shares will be sold by the existing shareholders, with SAN selling some of its shares. Most of the shares are being sold by the three private equity firms who bought from SAN in 2011.

I would call this investment by SAN a success.

SAN's foray into U.S. retail banking was through its acquisition of Sovereign Bank in 2009 for about $1.9B after acquiring a 20% stake in 2006 for about $2.4B. The low 2009 price was due to the financial crisis. Sovereign operated in the NE.

That bank has been rebranded to Santander Bank. As of 9/30/13, that U.S. bank had 706 branches as shown on a map found at page 11 of that U.S. bank's third quarter report:

Net operating income can be found at page 20 of that report. For the 9 months ending 9/30/13, the U.S. Santander Bank had net income of $772M (page 22)
    9 Jan, 07:29 PM Reply Like
  • jarco
    Comments (1482) | Send Message

Thanks for the detailed and informative comment. SAN is the largest of my "mad money" ventures and an exciting ride so far. As mentioned, Sovereign is basically a Northeastern bank bought by SAN for chump change at the peak of the late 2000's economic tsunami. It's worth noting they had previously expanded into New England when a large acquisition in that area forced a partial sell-off of an acquirers branches at a then very attractive price. Again thanks for you input.
    10 Jan, 11:12 AM Reply Like
  • Slick1313
    Comments (4) | Send Message

Hey southgent--you sound pretty knowledgable about Santander so I thought I would also ask you about your thoughts on investing in San's IPO. I need to make a decision by tomorrow so I am a little anxious as I've registered but will need to confirm it. Thoughts??
    21 Jan, 07:54 PM Reply Like
  • southgent1951
    Comments (2503) | Send Message

Slick: I am not interested in the Santander Consumer Finance IPO and will not be participating in the IPO.

I currently own the common shares, SAN, and the equity preferred floating rate preferred SANPRB which pays qualified and non-cumulative dividends at the greater of 4% or .52% above the 3 month Libor rate on a $25 par value. I have bought SANPRB as low as $13 and still own those shares. I recently sold my highest cost 50 share lot of SANPRB and will mention that trade in my next blog.
    21 Jan, 08:38 PM Reply Like
  • Slick1313
    Comments (4) | Send Message

Hi
    would you invest in Santander's IPO if you were able to?
    22 Jan, 01:11 PM Reply Like
  • AlbionWood
    Comments (766) | Send Message

As a SAN holder this is of interest, but it is a little hard to make out whether I benefit directly. I guess it establishes a premium valuation for this subsidiary (more than 3x tangible book), which might help with SAN valuation. Mostly it looks like the private-equity partners cashing out part of their stake (while retaining a large interest).
    10 Jan, 01:43 PM Reply Like
  • southgent1951
    Comments (2503) | Send Message

ALBION: Santander Consumer Finance will not receive any of the proceeds since the shares are being offered by the existing shareholders including a wholly owned subsidiary of Santander.

Page 133 of the S-1 shows that a wholly owned Santander subsidiary called Santander Holdings USA will be selling some shares.

A Reuters story that I cited below states that SAN will be selling about 20% of its shares.

Santander has already booked a profit when it sold a 25% stake to those three firms for $1 Billion.
    10 Jan, 02:23 PM Reply Like
  • AlbionWood
    Comments (766) | Send Message

southgent - Well spotted. Santander Holdings will sell about 12 million shares, Sponsor Auto Finance Holdings LP will sell about 52 million, and the CEO about 2 million. Mostly it appears to be Sponsor Auto Finance cashing out, as their stake will go from 25% down to as little as 7.5%. Santander Holdings will go from 65% to 60% and the CEO goes from 12% to 12%.

I'd be pretty happy to buy something for $636, sell 25% of it for $1,000 and have the remainder valued at $8,500. SAN did well here.
    10 Jan, 05:30 PM Reply Like
  • Slick1313
    Comments (4) | Send Message

just curious…if you had an opportunity to invest in Santander's IPO, would you?
    21 Jan, 07:55 PM Reply Like
  • Slick1313
    Comments (4) | Send Message

I am new to this-I have a chance to buy shares of the Santander Consumer USA IPO and went ahead and reserved an investment amount of 5,000. When I tried to lower this amount, I was told I could not and if I cancelled would not be able to reapply. Any thoughts out there? Am I crazy to invest and invest this amount??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated…thanks
    21 Jan, 07:58 PM Reply Like
  • Strike
    Comments (1067) | Send Message

If you want the definitive Blog on SAN you should access the following link:

New contributors are more than welcome.
    11 Jan, 05:48 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: