- Major retailers other than Target (TGT) were the victims of cyber-attacks on customer credit card data during the holiday season, with Reuters reporting that hackers breached at least three well-known chains using methods similar to those used on Target.
- However, as is often the way in the sector, the companies involved have yet to disclose the assaults.
- The attacks are in addition to one on Neiman Marcus. The luxury retailer said on Friday that it is looking into the theft of data from customer payment cards, although the luxury department store doesn't know how many people have been affected.
- Gartner analyst Avivah Litan says she learned about a separate series of beaches going back to a few months before Thanksgiving. These could have been used as trial runs for the big assault on Target, which said on Friday that the data of up to 70M people may have been stolen, not the 40M that was previously disclosed.
- ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, PEJ, IYK, FXD, PMR, FDIS, UGE, RCD, PEZ, SZK, PSCD