DirecTV drops Weather Channel

• DirecTV (DTV) stopped carrying The Weather Channel last night following a dispute over fees, with the satellite TV provider reportedly wanting a reduction of over 20% and the channel demanding a rise of 1 cent per monthly subscriber.
  • DirecTV believes that with more people accessing weather information via their phones and the Internet, the value of TV services is decreasing. The Weather Channel obviously begs to differ.
  • Last month, DirecTV "quietly" started distributing a small network called WeatherNation ahead the expiration of the carriage deal with The Weather Channel.
  • The latter's shareholders include Comcast's (CMCSA) NBCUniversal and Blackstone Group (BX).
Comments (9)
  • gonzokompadre
    , contributor
    Comments (7) | Send Message

A new three hour morning show with Sam Champion probably put Direct TV over the edge.
    Am very OK with their decision to drop it. I want my weather instantly and preferably without explanation.
    14 Jan, 05:11 AM Reply Like
  • marloo
    , contributor
    Comments (17) | Send Message

Weather channel is too focused on the east coast anyway. We have to wait forever to get California weather information, and then if you blink you missed it.
    14 Jan, 05:50 AM Reply Like
  • tennis44
    , contributor
    Comments (58) | Send Message

Wt is a waste, we can get it inso may other ways
    14 Jan, 06:18 AM Reply Like
  • tdspinks
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

I am fed up with the Weather Channel promoting the Global Warming LIE! I say good move riddance DTV!
    14 Jan, 04:33 PM Reply Like
  • Sandwah
    , contributor
    Comments (42) | Send Message

Weather reporting is a commodity anyway, goodbye Weather Channel and good riddance. They indeed have too political an agenda.
    15 Jan, 02:19 PM Reply Like
  • awralt
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Isn't it great to have a really nasty weather coming and then check the Weather Channel to find "Coast Guard Alaska" or "Highway to Hell" still has 45 minutes left.
    15 Jan, 06:46 PM Reply Like
  • tdbarna
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

WTC has way too much alternative shows that have nothing to do with the weather. If I want to watch their shows, I can go to History Channel et al. When I watch WTC, I want weather, not entertainment.
    19 Jan, 02:41 AM Reply Like
  • tdbarna
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

If I want entertainment and history........I have a multitude of channels to watch. When I watch WTC, I want the weather........until you can return to your original format, I'll watch WeatherNation.
    19 Jan, 12:49 PM Reply Like
  • marloo
    , contributor
    Comments (17) | Send Message

I live in California. A weather station 99% based on the east coast is a waste.
    I sometimes look in but leave real quick. My weather info goes by so fast its very frustrating. Better ways to get weather. Good-bye.
    28 Feb, 08:43 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub