- Japanese machine tool orders, a leading indicator of capex, surged 28% on year in December after climbing 15.4% in November.
- Domestic demand rose 41.6% and foreign bookings 21.9%.
- For 2013, machine tool orders dropped 7.9%, due to a 14.4% fall in exports, although domestic bookings rose 6.6%.
- The Nikkei gained 2.5% following a slump of 3.1% yesterday, with the mood brightened by a better-than-expected U.S. retail sales report.
- ETFs: DXJ, EWJ, FXY, YCS, JGBS, JGBD, DFJ, JYN, NKY, DBJP, EZJ, EWV, YCL, SCJ, DXJS, JSC, ITF, JGBL, JPP, JPNL, JGBT, JPNS, FJP, JGBB
Japanese machine tool orders jump; Nikkei recovers much ground
Jan 15 2014, 03:25 ET