- Toyota's (TM +0.3%) showcased its FCV concept car at the Detroit Auto Show and took on critics.
- Senior VP Bob Carter says the hydrogen fuel cell car that the automaker plans to launch next year will be as successful as the Prius hybrid.
- The exec took some shots at Tesla's Elon Musk and Nissan's Carlos Ghosn, saying competitors who dismiss fuel cells do so at their own risk.
- Critics have bandied around the idea that hydrogen cars could be unsafe, but Carter claims the company fired small-caliber bullets at the model's hydrogen tank only to see them bounce off.
- When economies of scale are reached for the technology, Toyota expects MSRP ratings comparable to a plug-in hybrid.
at CNBC.com (Nov 18, 2014)