IBM to spend $1.2B on ramping up cloud offerings

• IBM (IBM) intends to invest over $1.2B on up to 15 new data centers across the world as part of its strategy to expand its cloud services.
  • The scheme will bring the number of centers that IBM operates to 40 and will double the capacity of SoftLayer, which rents online storage space to companies. Since IBM acquired the Dallas-based firm for $2B last year, it has gained 2,400 new clients.
Comments (7)
  • tloganenterprises@gmail.com
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

I do not understand why you send email bulletins out about IBM - and all them are favorable. I think the general consensus is grim - but all your articles make it sound like they are on the verge of finding gold. As a retired employee - I see the real IBM
    17 Jan, 09:28 AM Reply Like
  • BAHAMAS1
    , contributor
    Comments (1643) | Send Message

Sounds like Sour grapes to me.
    17 Jan, 10:20 AM Reply Like
  • BillGrates
    , contributor
    Comments (8) | Send Message

I also am a retired IBM employee after 26+ years. Thank goodness I kept my IBM stock and re-invested the dividends since 1967. WOW one of my best investments ever. IBM will shock in a very positive direction over the next few years.
    17 Jan, 04:00 PM Reply Like
  • Tawm
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

Are they not trying to cut costs excessively to,temporarily goose profit?
    18 Jan, 10:19 AM Reply Like
  • slam stocks
    , contributor
    Comments (1254) | Send Message

Love the efforts of trimming excess fat and focus on areas that create future growth. Dividend increases and buybacks definitely rewarding investors, but to reinvent their business is very encouraging.
    18 Jan, 10:27 AM Reply Like
  • BAHAMAS1
    , contributor
    Comments (1643) | Send Message

Everyone loves to play amateur accountant concerning IBM.

Leave IBM to handle IBM as they have done quite well for over 100 years and will continue to do so for the next 100 yrs. !

If you don't like IBM and you own it ...cash out and go on with your life.
    If you don't own it and don't like it...short it.

But stop second guessing it .
    I believe Buffett stopped second guessing it and became its largest shareholder.
    Maybe the negative IBM folks should convince Buffett to sell His shares as they are adept as stock pickers.

tlogan...
    Re your above comment...I take it you don't own IBM stock nor reinvested dividends during your tenure there. Sorry for you for that faux pas.
    18 Jan, 11:14 AM Reply Like
  • psychological-dividends
    , contributor
    Comments (363) | Send Message

I'm wondering, how exactly do you produce a cloud with long-term stickiness for the producer? Innovate or die I guess.
    18 Jan, 12:10 PM Reply Like