- Stocks edged mostly lower as investors digested mixed housing data and disappointing earnings from Intel and GE.
- December housing starts decreased less than expected but building permits slipped; a mid-month reading on consumer sentiment was lower than expected.
- Intel -2.6% after missing earnings estimates due to weak spending on servers, while GE -2.5% after falling shy of projections amid weakness in its financial unit.
- The Dow outpaced the other averages, bolstered by strength in AmEx (+3.6%), which came up short of consensus EPS but saw some solid credit trends beneath the headline.
- The 10-year Treasury yield dropped 2 bps to 2.823%.
- U.S. markets with be closed Monday in observance of MLK Day.
Stocks fall on disappointing earnings, AmEx boosts Dow
Jan 17 2014, 16:15 ET