- Many have predicted the demise of the China boom and were early, says Felix Zulauf at the Barron's Roundtable, but now it's more obvious "it's in a terminal stage." He's playing it by shorting the iShares MSCI Hong Kong ETF (EWH). The Hong Kong banking system is heavily exposed to mainland China, so when China goes, there could be a banking crisis in Hong Kong. The HK$ is pegged to the greenback, so the HKMA will defend it by hiking rates, smacking the heavily rate-sensitive economy there.
- It's been nearly a decade since Zulauf recommended gold miners, but now's the time the buy the GDX, he says. Gold (GLD) is "washed out ... those who wanted to sell gold have sold it ... Western investors, asset-allocators, ETF players have all sold their gold. The buyers? "Physical gold moved from Western to Eastern hands."
- After 30 years of declining yields, Zulauf isn't a secular bull on U.S. Treasurys, but sees mis-pricing in government paper, noting French 10-year notes yield 50 bps less than comparable U.S. ones. The 10-year Treasury yield could easily fall 75-100 bps and he's a buyer of TLT.
- China-related ETFs: FXI, PGJ, GXC, FXP, HAO, YINN, CYB, CNY, TAO, CHIQ, CHIX, ASHR, YANG, MCHI, PEK, CQQQ, KWEB, DSUM, QQQC, XPP, YAO, CHXX, FXCH, CHII, CHXF, ECNS, YXI, CHIE, CHIM, KFYP, FCA, TCHI, CHLC, CHNA
- Gold and gold miner ETFs: GLD, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, IAU, PHYS, DUST, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, GLDX, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, DGZ, AGOL, DGLD, GLDI, RING, GGGG, JNUG, PSAU, TBAR, JDST, UBG
- Long-dated Treasury ETFs: TBT, TLT, TMV, TBF, EDV, TTT, TMF, TLH, SBND, ZROZ, DLBS, VGLT, UBT, TLO, LBND, TYBS, TENZ, DLBL
Zulauf pans China, likes gold and Treasurys
Jan 18 2014, 09:25 ET