BlackBerry surges after DoD provides vote of confidence

• The DoD states a new mobile apps/services management program currently supports 80K BlackBerry (BBRY +6.4%) phones, and just 1.8K iOS/Android devices. The first phase of the program will be deployed on Jan. 31.
  • BlackBerry investors are happy with the news, particularly given the company's recent sales trends, and concerns the DoD would largely rely on iOS/Android hardware going forward.
  • On Friday, Citron Research cited healthy government support (due to BlackBerry's security expertise) as a reason for being bullish on BlackBerry.
From other sites
Comments (17)
  • SivBum
    Comments (2162) | Send Message

The Canucks are happy and thankful.
    21 Jan 2014, 10:45 AM Reply Like
  • perryy
    Comments (89) | Send Message

Good news for what us long
    21 Jan 2014, 11:39 AM Reply Like
  • contrarianwise
    Comments (1281) | Send Message

80,000 phones is a good start!
    21 Jan 2014, 11:49 AM Reply Like
  • Crispin_in_Waterloo
    Comments (1474) | Send Message

Kinda gets the message out there. Of course, my experience with people who are in the military/gov't service is they hate their BB's because they are almost completely disabled. They are special editions (no one ever talks about that) with the functions allowed by that employer/department.

The point of BES 10 is the company can control what the device is able to do, not the user. The BES10 management software allows for the company to manage a portion of the device (incl iPhones and Androids) and leave the rest to the control of the holder. That is a major change in the way things have been managed, historically. The company can control (through proprietary and secure software) what goes onto the phone, what is and is not encrypted, and could of course include external (USB) hardware encryption. It still leaves the holder free to play Angry Birds and update their music.

It is important that the handsets and software come from a reliable single point. The chances of this space being invaded soon by two outsiders doing one thing each is remote.
    21 Jan 2014, 12:15 PM Reply Like
  • LYogi
    Comments (2575) | Send Message

another 38,000 to be announced soon:

little by little we'll get there
    21 Jan 2014, 12:19 PM Reply Like
  • BugleBoy
    Comments (229) | Send Message

Great article find, LYogi,
    Transitioning from BB5... Now THAT is a slow product cycle change!!! But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    @Crispin...
    It has boggled my mind for an entire year, as of today, that BlackBerry Balance was never advertised EVER in any way, shape, or form that I can remember. We longs certainly pumped it here on SA, but what a deal-breaker it is - load your apps you want AND keep your work information COMPLETELY SECURE. I sure hope that Mr. Johnson, the new man in charge of sales, gets this point out loud, strong, and clear.
    21 Jan 2014, 12:25 PM Reply Like
  • contrarianwise
    Comments (1281) | Send Message

won't be long now--I think someone is at the helm who knows what he is about--you don't do 20% a year by being a fool
    21 Jan 2014, 12:59 PM Reply Like
  • contrarianwise
    Comments (1281) | Send Message

don't want to get to excited but the 80000 phones may be the tip of the iceberg. When all the pundits are one way--sometimes it is the other way that holds the future--like the recent article said--Chen is just making sure the devices don't lose money--that is different then saying they will never make money--so he is taking it step by step--we don't know at this point--
    21 Jan 2014, 01:07 PM Reply Like
  • contrarianwise
    Comments (1281) | Send Message

Chen has the horse--if he didn't we would be lost--I think BBRY has a lot for him to work with--20% a year--he is no fool--he will make it work and in 4Q the analysts will be on his side with buy recommendations IMO
    21 Jan 2014, 02:21 PM Reply Like
  • positivethoughts
    Comments (2017) | Send Message

Since BB is most popular in Canada, I will talk about my experience trying to acquire a BB device for my cellular needs, in the Canadian market of Toronto, Ontario.

I would love to purchase one of the BB devices that are on the market (Z10), but few phone service companies offer the BB device with an affordable monthly plan.

I wish blackberry would start their own cell phone service offering.

PC Mobile - part of Loblaws stores (grocery) - has their own cell phone service that they offer to consumers - called PCMobile. For prepaid, PCMobile buys network access from Rogers. For postpaid (monthly), they buy network access from Telus. Anyways, PCMobile offers 1500 minutes anytime airtime, per month, with free evenings and weekends, unlimited texting and 1 GB of data. The cost is $53 per month. In Canada, $53 per month for this type of service is a very good price. Unfortunately, PCMobile doesnt offer any BB devices.

If I sign up with Wind Mobile - another option in Canada; I can get a BB device on a monthly plan - BB free of charge - for $50 per month. Amazing offering really. This includes unlimited phone and data, anywhere in North America, with long distance rates to China at 1 cent per minute. I love Wind Mobile, but too many times, the company's networks have dead spots and I am not able to use my phone when I need to. On December 24th, I had to use my Wind Mobile phone to contact a woman I was scheduled to pick up, but because of the unreliability of their network, I wasnt able to contact her as scheduled. I had to drive around, find a commercial store along the way, and go in to ask if I could use their business line to contact her instead. Also, with Wind Mobile, anytime you go into a store or other building, a strong signal is often unattainable. Wind is great for personal use, but not for business use. I need a phone for business use.

So, I am between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes. I love BB, but no Canadian provider offers the phone at an affordable monthly rate, accompanied by reliable network service.

I probably will end up getting a Moto G with PCMobile and try to learn to love Android.
    21 Jan 2014, 01:36 PM Reply Like
  • 10553331
    Comments (110) | Send Message

@ Positive thoughts:
    Why not buy a Z10 online at Blackberry.com? They are unlocked and will work with GSM networks. The phone was $200. Now I think it's $300 US.
    22 Jan 2014, 08:22 AM Reply Like
  • duanne46
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Good for Blackberry the US Government supports them. The same cannot be said for the Canadian Government which should be throwing their full support behind this Canadian company.
    21 Jan 2014, 02:34 PM Reply Like
  • KIA Investment Research
    Comments (11424) | Send Message

"BlackBerry surges after DoD provides vote of confidence"

Oh BlackBerry is surging alright, but there was no "vote of confidence" by the DoD. Just a lot of baseless spinning.
    22 Jan 2014, 07:15 PM Reply Like
  • perryy
    Comments (89) | Send Message

Only you interpreted it that way. The whole world know it is a vote of confidence coded in action not expressed in words. I hope one day truth will visit you. The spectacle of subjectivity will fall from your eyes and you will see things the way they are.

Fired from my Indomitable z10, my dinosaur of choice. (swipe typing is my religion)
    23 Jan 2014, 09:16 AM Reply Like
  • KIA Investment Research
    Comments (11424) | Send Message

Perryy, without an adversarial tone, please show me one sentence in that DISA article that was either complementary of BlackBerry, an endorsement of BlackBerry or a "vote of confidence".

Here is the link to the article. http://bit.ly/1dV4ijO

I look forward to your insights.
    23 Jan 2014, 10:08 AM Reply Like
  • perryy
    Comments (89) | Send Message

Dear mrknowitall, I'm sorry if you find my tone in response to some of your posts adversarial. However, like I said above, though there is no place where it is written that DISA gave a vote of confidence to BlackBerry, from its action, it is more than glaring that a vote of confidence was given to BlackBerry. That aside, it is crystal clear that you have no love for BlackBerry. You have a way of talking down any stride made by BlackBerry, I must be blunt here. Nevertheless, kindly accept my unreserved apologies, should you find any of my replies to your comments hurtful.

Yours in SA, perryy.

Fired from z10.
    24 Jan 2014, 08:51 AM Reply Like
  • KIA Investment Research
    Comments (11424) | Send Message

Perryy,

"from its action, it is more than glaring that a vote of confidence was given to BlackBerry"

What action? Please explain the "glaring that a vote of confidence".
    24 Jan 2014, 03:14 PM Reply Like